Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

How do you...

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:12 AM
  • 20 Replies

Explain abortion to your child? Every morning we watch the local news while everyone is getting ready. This morning there was a story about our state's only clinic and ds (11) ask what is abortion. I tried to answer without giving him too much information. I told him it's when a girl gets pregnant and decides she doesn't want the baby the doctor goes in and takes the baby out,but she has to do it when she first gets pregnant. He looked at me and said but the baby will die with out its mom. I said right. He looked confused and said but that's murder. I didn't know what to say,so I changed the subject. I hope I handled this okay.

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I think you answered it correctly and simply without having to go into all the emotional reasons and all that complicated stuff.   Some women may want the baby but feel they have no choice but to abort due to outside factors.

DyslexiaParent
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Sounds to me like your son understood abortion very well.  I think  you handled it just fine.  I probably would have added a singular comment after his about some people believing it is and some believing it isn't murder, but I don't think that was an essential piece to add by any means.

Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:27 PM

It's a medical procedure to terminate a pregnancy.

Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:31 PM
3 moms liked this

Personally, I wouldn't have said the doctor takes the baby out. I would have said embryo instead to prevent confusion. There is a big difference between baby and embryo, and I would think an 11 year old would be capable of knowing the difference. I know it would have made the discussion longer because I'd have to define embryo, but I'd take the time so that my 11 yo knew the proper definitions.

Other than that, I think you did good. My son is about the same age, and he hasn't asked me. But I believe he knows what it is. We live in the Midwest, and so it's on usual to see billboards sometimes daily about this issue.

janitablue
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Wow that is a touchy subject you did good.

MJP76
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:11 PM

I would have probably ended it with "it's a woman's right to choose, and it's only legal, up to a certain point of pregnancy."

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:50 PM
I think you did great.

I think it's pathetic that a BABY is only referred to as an embryo when the BABY isn't wanted. No one says "oh look at the ultrasound of my embryo".
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaDearie
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:58 PM

It must depend on your beliefs. To me it is murder. I don't care what medical terminology you try to couch it in- it is the murder of a baby. Period. Would I use that exact terminology with my child at 11? Quite possibly. Why are so many people afraid to speak their beliefs to their own children? 

"Of all the rights of women, the greatest is to be a mother." (Lin Yutang)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Easter gifts tickers

Daisypath Halloween tickersDaisypath Thanksgiving tickersDaisypath Christmas tickersDaisypath Valentines tickers
SlightlyPerfect
Just imagine how much people could accomplish after they accept that there is no god. No god to blame. No god to thank. No god to praise. No god to grant or deny requests. No predetermined plan. Just imagine the possibilities that would come with that one realization that people have to take ownership of themselves, their choices, and their moral obligations.
51 minutes ago
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:39 PM

You say if a pregnant woman doesn't want to be pregnant anymore, she can go see special doctors.

slightlyperfect

SlightlyPerfect
Just imagine how much people could accomplish after they accept that there is no god. No god to blame. No god to thank. No god to praise. No god to grant or deny requests. No predetermined plan. Just imagine the possibilities that would come with that one realization that people have to take ownership of themselves, their choices, and their moral obligations.
51 minutes ago
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Because a belief isn't a fact. If your kid is 11, you'd (I hope) want to use fact-based language.

Quoting MamaDearie:

It must depend on your beliefs. To me it is murder. I don't care what medical terminology you try to couch it in- it is the murder of a baby. Period. Would I use that exact terminology with my child at 11? Quite possibly. Why are so many people afraid to speak their beliefs to their own children? 

slightlyperfect

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)