Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

ssshh Mommy little helper

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:56 PM
  • 15 Replies

Anderson and Kathy  daytime talk show host talk about mommy little helper. They talked  pro and cons.  They both a gave a brief history of mother talking medication to become better moms. I was not aware that moms in the 50s was popping Valium to become super moms. The shows also had experts and guest. Two mom that were on Kathy show took prescription medication because they are mental unbalance it help them to get thought the day.  There were on mom that said she drink herself while her children was in her present she got a buzz she knew she had to stop. 

Here are my thoughts I don't judge. If you unbalance you need medication to help you I see no problem in taking medication. I also see no reason for moms to drink but as responsible adult you have to use common sense .

What are you thoughs on mommy little helper ? Does the internet, wine, or prescription affect your abilty to be a mom ?

Click on Katie Courtie Show

Click on Anderson Live

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:29 PM
2 moms liked this

If it's needed for a mental illness, there is absolutely nothing wrong w/ medication to help.

A glass of something after the kids are in bed is fine, too, imo.

corrinacs
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Oh wow!  I know, I was hearing about the stuff that happened back then!  I think that in this day in age, women are expected to excel in so many different areas.  We are expected to hold a career, to be perfect moms and yet we are still expected to be competent members of society.  Men are not held to the same expectations!  And many women feel that they need "help" to finish it all!

So, on the one hand I can undersatnd how this could happen.  There has to be a breaking point somewhere.  Its going to cause more people to have mental unbalalences.

That being said, if women are so overwhelmed, they need to feel free to ask for help.  It should be expected that our lives have a nice work/life balance.  It should be built into our system (but it is not).  

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:53 PM

It's not something I do or need to do in order to get though the day with my children. I do like to have a little fun on the weekends while they are with their grandfather. I have never taken any sort of drug other than that prescribed to me by a doctor.

I know a few parents that do things of this nature. I grew up with a mom that did similar things. I guess everyone does what they they think will help them get though the day. But things of that nature are dangerous not only to themselves but the children as well.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:46 PM

My mommy's little helper is a soda...lol. That's what I grab when I'm stressed.

janitablue
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:16 PM

I love your comment sometimes pride get in the way, or just finding the right person for help.

Quoting corrinacs:

Oh wow!  I know, I was hearing about the stuff that happened back then!  I think that in this day in age, women are expected to excel in so many different areas.  We are expected to hold a career, to be perfect moms and yet we are still expected to be competent members of society.  Men are not held to the same expectations!  And many women feel that they need "help" to finish it all!

So, on the one hand I can undersatnd how this could happen.  There has to be a breaking point somewhere.  Its going to cause more people to have mental unbalalences.

That being said, if women are so overwhelmed, they need to feel free to ask for help.  It should be expected that our lives have a nice work/life balance.  It should be built into our system (but it is not).  

corrinacs
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Absolutely, you are right.  And I'm guilty of it just the same.  I want to excel as a professional, as a mom, as a wife, etc.

Quoting janitablue:

I love your comment sometimes pride get in the way, or just finding the right person for help.

Quoting corrinacs:

janitablue
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:35 PM

I know how you feel about excel . For example my special need brother needs help with his speech therapy exercise every day for 10 minutes. Some days I could not do because of  school or I am just tired. My sister is aware you think she would come over once a week and help him with exercise. Anyhoo I had to ask his counselor and she said she will help. That what I mean by finding the right person.

Quoting corrinacs:

Absolutely, you are right.  And I'm guilty of it just the same.  I want to excel as a professional, as a mom, as a wife, etc.

Quoting janitablue:

Quoting corrinacs:

Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:01 PM

I was aware of the history in the 50s. My mom was a teenager then, and so she let me know a long time ago that the 50s were definitely not like how they appeared to be on TV shows from that time.

janitablue
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:23 PM

TV shows has me fool. I love some of things in 50s. I guess secretly want a to be a  stay home  in the fifties, that  I can cook meals, have a clean house and also spend quality time with my son.

Quoting Barabell:

I was aware of the history in the 50s. My mom was a teenager then, and so she let me know a long time ago that the 50s were definitely not like how they appeared to be on TV shows from that time.

calsmom62
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:53 PM
There were commercials on tv growing up with products like vivarin, or geritol, and other products which were supposed to pep up mom so she wouldn't be tired. I think they were full of alcohol or amphetamines.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)