Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I am needing some help please!!!

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:30 AM
  • 10 Replies

My daughter is 5 yrs old. Her grandpa(who is my stepdad,he is like a my dad(been in my life since I was almost 7 yrs old)) is dying of bone cancer(it is all over his body). They put him on a new cancer pill the 2nd of this month(which was my b-day)if it works he will probably live 6 months n if not 3 months. Are their any books out there that will help her understand what he is goin thru n he will be goin to be passing away. We tried explaining it to her but I don't think she understood. I figured a book would be a better choice with her cause she loves books so much.

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Sorry..I don't know of any off hand. I'm sure if you asked at your local library they would have recommendations.

Just be honest with her and don't lie to her. Kids are resilient and honesty makes it easier.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
aetrom
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:25 AM
I am sorry for this difficult time. :( I do not think she can truly understand at that age until he is gone. But I am sure there are bound to be some great books on cancer itself?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TroyboysMom
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:35 AM

This is a book we've used in our house with success. It isn't about cancer specifically, but it does address death and dying: http://www.amazon.com/Miss-You-First-Look-Death/dp/0764117645/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1362724499&sr=1-1&keywords=i+miss+you

bluelola
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:56 AM

My dad passed away suddenly and he was only 58.  My son was 5 at the time and he was really close to his Papa.  It was unexpected so there was no "preparing" him..... it was really hard because my mom, sister, brother and I were shell shocked (for lack of a better way term).  I was also pregnant with our second child.  I remember having to take a step out of my grief to explain in child like language to our son what happened.  He went to the funeral of course, but my aunt and uncle were there so they were a huge saving grace at the time.  We did read a book back then and it was about a grandparent that passed away and had to do with butterflies.

story0702
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:07 AM
You could also ask the hospital or treatment center if they have any suggestions . My girls were just little 4, and 3 their baby sister passed away. They hospital was amazing at helping them understand what was going on and then in the end her passing away.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kjbugsmom1517
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:24 AM
They dont truly grasp it at that age but good luck. We were honest with our kids and gave them age appropirate info and was willing to answer questions. Death is hard for them to fully grasp tho.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:54 AM

The children's librarian should be able to help you find something- there are books out there that deal w/ it.

You could maybe word it as, "Grandpa's bones are very sick. The doctors are trying to make them better, but the medicine isn't working like it should." Then explain your beliefs about death.

(((Hugs)))

girlnextdoornco
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 11:50 AM

I'm sorry that your family is going through this difficult time. It's so heartbreaking to see someone that you love suffer. I'll be praying for your family. A really good book for young children on the subject of death is Someone I Loved Died by Christian Tangvald...also...a neat article series on this subject is on the Focus on the Family website http://bit.ly/YnxtQE 

HyperMom38
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 11:59 AM

My mom has cancer too so I know what you are going through and I'm sorry because I know how hard this is on you and your family.  We are Christians so I just explained that she will go to live with God in heaven.  I told my DD (who is also 5 btw) that in heaven Mae-Mae won't be sick anymore and she will be young again.  So far Mom is OK, but their dog died about a month ago.  DD was sad and asked if the dog would go to heaven and would God remember to give her treats?   I told her yes and we could pray to have God give Jazz her treats every day- and so we did.  She accepted it pretty well, but still talks about the dog and what it's like in heaven and such.  I think for us the dog was God preparing DD for what is to come.  I hope this helps you.  I'll be praying for you and your family.

Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 11, 2013 at 3:41 PM

I'm sorry you and your family are going through this hard time right now. I have no book suggestions, but just wanted to offer you some support.

hugs

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)