Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

New and have some questions

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:57 AM
  • 8 Replies

Hello ladies!  I'm new to this group and I can't wait to get involved!  I have two daughters and love them both with all my heart.  They are both 6 and in the first grade.  My DD has always done well in school and has always tried to help her sister.  My SD is having some issues but I am hoping that we can get them figured out and she can be at the level her sister is.  I am 26 and in school myself so things can get pretty crazy around here.  Lol.

So I was helping the kids with their homework last night and I noticed something that I didn't want to.  My DD is an excellent reader and ever since she went into the "reading help" class she has improved immensely!  I'm very proud of her!  (Especially considering we are worried about dyslexia with her).  When it came to my SD's homework I became concerned.  I noticed that she is not reading at near the level she should be.  She has a problem with paying attention and slowing down as it is.  I know this is part of why her reading level is where it is.  She has always been overactive, inpatient, easily distracted, and likes to be the "first one" for everything!  Even food!  It's terrible!  Well she was reading last night, as per her homework, and she is trying to rush through it.  I made her slow down and sound out the words.  This frustrated her to no end, but she did it.  I also noticed that she couldn't recognize words that she should know by now.  Simple words, like what, who, when, was, say, etc.  I'm concerned and I want to help her out.  She is in the same "reading help" class as DD, but so far I have seen no improvement.  I don't know what to do.

Is there any way I can get her to slow down, even for every day things at home?  I figure if I can get her to slow down and learn patience it might help her out.  Also, what would you suggest I do?  I was thinking about having her read more at home, but she already has a TON of reading assignments from her teacher Monday through Thursday that turn 10 minutes of homework into an hour.

Any help would be greatly appreciated ladies!  I really want to help her out and see her succeed!

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:31 AM
My daughter had issues with reading until 1) she was diagnosed with ADD and 2) we found that she has an astigmatism in her left eye and needs glasses. Since then she has improved and is reading above her age level. Maybe obe if those for ur SD?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:45 AM

My first thought was ADHD w/ the behavior you described. You might want to discuss this possibility w/ her dad and look into asking the school or her dr. about it. Ds1 has ADHD and, while he never had trouble learning how to read, he does struggle w/ comprehension b/c he wants to rush through anything not up his alley (which is most assigned fiction books). 

Needing glasses could be another possibility; ds2 has a friend who struggled w/ reading until it was discovered he needed glasses, and he's improving now. (I'm friends w/ the boy's mom, that's how I know)

Welcome to the group!

Mom2Tabitha
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:56 AM

To have her slow down reading, have her do it out loud.  It is especially good if she reads to a pet or her dolls as there is no pressure to be perfect.  You can be around to over hear, but it should not look like you are really listening.  Speaking it will slow her down and sharing the story with a pet or toy can be very rewarding fer her.

Elaine

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:00 AM

My daughter's reading didn't take off until 2nd grade. I found that at the end of 1st and going into 2nd she needed to pick books that interested her... which might have meant, ook and gluck (?), Bad Kitty etc.... and picture books with more detailed stories. Then she took the time to read. But she also liked when we read books together alternating paragraphs. Reading can be fun.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:06 AM
I agree with the PPs about checking her vision. Take her to an optometrist, not her pedi. I also like the idea of reading to a pet or doll and making it seem like you're not paying attention.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SahmTam
by Tammy on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:22 AM

I also like the idea of reading to a doll or pet. Our school used to offer a reading program after school where they would read to dogs. The dogs were trained to just sit while the kids sat near them or snuggled with them and read. It sounded really cool. I haven't heard anything about it in awhile, so I'm not sure if they still have it, but the idea was that the kids could read to "someone" who would not be judging or correcting them (not to say you as a parent shouldn't step in help them, but sometimes it's nice for them to not have that, too.)

SamKlug
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Thank you for all the advice ladies!  I really appreciate it!  I will definitely set up an appointment to get her eyes checked!  In the mean time, I will make the suggestion to have her read to her dolls.  If these don't help, then it's time to ask about ADHD.  My sister has ADHD and it's been a pain growing up with.  But I've never seen her have a problem with reading so that's probably why it never crossed my mind.  Thank you so much ladies!

eb415
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:00 PM

A doctor's appointment is a good idea.  The pediatrician is probably fine, at least to see if something is wrong.  If there is, however, be prepared to go to an opthamologist - I'd suggest that over an optometrist.

I got glasses in elementary school, so that could definitely be it - vision changes can happen between normal doctor visits, but are still gradual enough that kids don't notice them and so won't say there's a problem.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN