• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Giving 5 yr old chores?

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:10 AM
  • 38 Replies

What age is common to start giving little ones chores? I was reading a post about it and saw that many moms have 4 and 5 yr olds cleaning bathrooms, and vaccuuming, and helping clean kitchens, take out trash...etc... 

My DD is 5 and her only job is to pick up her toys. Am I too lenient? Is it more common to have young ones helping out around the house more? What are some chores your little ones do? How do you get them to do it, and whats appropriate for Kindergartners to do around the house?

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:11 AM

My kids started full chores at the age of 5.

jmp1279
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:13 AM

my dd is in charge of cleaning her own room. she is 5

sahmw2010
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:22 AM
At 3 my kids are in charge of room/play room. By 5, putting away their clithes (i bought an extended rod to hang from closet so she could hang her clothes) my 8 yr old cleans her room and vaccuums. Keeps her bathroom picked up counters wiped down. (I do the actual cleaning of toliet and tub and stuff) she vaccuum living room and toyroom. She used to do the dishes but my 3yr old helps me with that now. She also helps fold the laundry abd put hers away. My 3yr old helps me do the laundry and switch loads
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Steph925
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:25 AM
My kids are 5 and 7 my 5 yr old helps me with dishes,sorts laundry, cleans his room and puts laundry away. My 7 yr old does laundry sorting and all except folding, cleans his room, takes trash out, and picks up the bathroom. They both feed and water the animals in the evenings.
gonecrazi
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:26 AM

My boys are 16 and 11 they keep their rooms clean, clean their bathroom, and help keep the trash out. Maybe my boys are just spoiled.

vermontmoms
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:30 AM
My boys help clean toilets, sort laundry, pick up their clothes, dust, clear dishes, empty dishwasher, set table and feed pets. They are 9 but have done this since 5-6yrs.
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:32 AM

I admit, I was really lax on chores when the boys were younger. Still kinda am, all 3 kidd mostly just help out when asked.

As for specific chores, dd is the only one who really had any at that age: pick up toys, help put away clean laundry (she did the stuff that goes in her dresser, I did the things that get hung up), put the napkins out on the dinner table, and in her rm, keep a clear path from the door to her bed and to the window. She has the same chores now at 7. She likes to help dust now and then, too.

Ds2, 9, has the same bedrm requirement, pick up toys, put away clean laundry, and set the dinner table.

Ds1, almost 14, has the bedrm requirement, pick up toys (he still likes to play cars and Legos w/ his brother), pour drinks for dinner, put away clean laundry, take out trash, and, in warm weather, either cut the grass or use the weed whacker.

Like I said, not many regular required chores, but they are expected to do other things as asked.

mommy404204
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:35 AM

My son is 5 and he brings in the garbage cans after the garbage goes. He also takes out the trash. Cleans his room and helps clean his little sisters room. He also cleans the kitchen table sometimes and some times helps with laundry. My daughter is 3 and helps with everything she can. She puts a bag back in the garbage cans she helps with laundry cleaning her and her brothers rooms and takes out garbage. I started really young with them helping around the house.

LucyHarper
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:36 AM

My 5 year old has chores and has had them since he was 3. Its nothing major, just taking care of his personal messes, wiping down the table, setting the table, folding some laundry once a week, helping put away dishes on the kids dish days, feeding the dogs (with supervision), bringing the bathroom garbage can down on garbage day, and helping to weed in the summer, nothing too hard. I think its important for kids to learn home skills, responsibility, and that being a part of a family means you need to help contribute and help people out in order for the family to work, it can't be a couple people doing all the work. He has about 15 minutes of chores a day. Everyone has their jobs and if they don't do them, they are punished, they can go sit in timeout until they are ready to behave and get their chores done. 

theresaphilly
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:40 AM

All my kids had chores at the age of 2, they had to put their toys away and pick up their clothing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)