Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

lactose intolerance?

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:55 AM
  • 168 Replies
1 mom liked this

Any moms have any experience with this?  Here's the story:  my dd, 5, normally healthy (except for some slight allergy that makes her stuffed up/runny nose most of the time) gets a crampy stomach and pukes once every month or so.  The doctor said it sounds like a food allergy/intolerance.  Since it's not happening all the time, I don't keep a food diary.  She got sick this morning.  We made a list of everything she ate yesterday.  On the list is a bowl of cereal w/2% milk...and I started thinking about her medical history.  At 6 months, I weaned her from breastmilk & she went on regular formula...and her eczema flared like super bad...and didn't go away for years.  Now once in a while she gets this crampy feeling & has to get rid of everything in her stomach.  Online everything tells me that if you're lactose intolerant, you'd get symptoms 30 min-2 hrs after having milk...but her symptoms usually come early in the morning when she hastn't ate or drank anything yet.  What do you think?  Sorry to be rambling....

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CreziaMommyTo2
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:56 AM
2 moms liked this

sounds like my DS.  once we took him off dairy, he got much better

PinkParadox
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:59 AM
I have started wondering about my 5 year old too. She has a stuffy nose constantly, especially during the winter. She's gassy a lot and every now and then has runny bowels. She has milk at school every day....so we've changed that. I'm thinking if taking her for an allergy test.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
liveforever
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:01 AM
4 moms liked this
I have lactose intolerance. I've never thrown up from it. Its more gas and diarrhea. It also hits quickly as the food is being digested. If this is happening the next day I would think its something else.
mom2the.rescue
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:33 AM

was he having the problem immediately (like 30min-2hrs) after having dairy?  Or like my dd, the next day?

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

sounds like my DS.  once we took him off dairy, he got much better

mom2the.rescue
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:33 AM

My dd had a skin allergy test & a blood one when she was about 1...nothing about milk came up. 

Quoting PinkParadox:

I have started wondering about my 5 year old too. She has a stuffy nose constantly, especially during the winter. She's gassy a lot and every now and then has runny bowels. She has milk at school every day....so we've changed that. I'm thinking if taking her for an allergy test.

mom2the.rescue
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:35 AM

That's kind of what the online stuff says-that if it's lactose intolerance it shows up 30min-2hrs later...but there are people online that say theirs happens anywhere from 6-24 hrs later.  The reason I'm thinking it's dairy is b/c of her eczema that got so bad after switching to formula.  Once she gets everything out of her system, she usually rests & then feels all better.

Quoting liveforever:

I have lactose intolerance. I've never thrown up from it. Its more gas and diarrhea. It also hits quickly as the food is being digested. If this is happening the next day I would think its something else.

dommad2
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:36 AM
3 moms liked this
The online crap of 30min-2hrs is only with severe intolerance or with a large quantity. On the TMI front I've been lactose intolerant my whole life I get gas cramps really bad 12-36 hours later, really nasty smelling farts, and then feel like I'm going to puke before my rear unloads everything possibly in my stomach.

Aren't you glad you asked....
dommad2
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:37 AM
Mine usually hits the next day

Quoting liveforever:

mom2the.rescue
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:42 AM

lol, yes I am glad I asked-thanks!  She has cheese pretty regularly, but online it tells me there's not a lot of lactose in the kind she has.  And in the last few days, she's had a few servings of ice cream, milk, and cheese...which is not totally normal for her.  I think I'm going to take away all dairy for a few days & then give her a whole bunch & watch her.  What do you think?

Quoting dommad2:

The online crap of 30min-2hrs is only with severe intolerance or with a large quantity. On the TMI front I've been lactose intolerant my whole life I get gas cramps really bad 12-36 hours later, really nasty smelling farts, and then feel like I'm going to puke before my rear unloads everything possibly in my stomach.

Aren't you glad you asked....

4wildbeasts
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:46 AM
All four of my kids are lactose intolerant. Two of them
Will get bad cramps and major diarrhea shortly after having dairy. The other two it has the opposite effect. Dairy will make them extremely consticonstipated and has even caused a blockage in my one child (I didn't realize that lactose intolerance can have symptoms other than diarrhea, so I didn't think she was lactose intolerant. Therefore she was still getting dairy at that time.)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN