Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frustrated! Need Suggestions

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:18 AM
  • 5 Replies

Yesterday my husband happened to run into my sons kindergarten teacher and asked how are son is doing.  She proceeded to tell him that he is behind on his reading and that she is concerned about it.  We just got his report card and the only thing she said about his reading is continue working on his sight words.  She mentioned nothing about being concerened with his reading, why wouldn't she have said that on the report card.  Frustrating.  I should just point out we moved to another state and so we knew there could be issues and I emailed her and asked several times if we needed to work with him on anything and nothing.  She is going to call me today today so we can talk some more about it.  I'm trying to make a list of questions I should ask.  What would you ask?  Also, does anyone know any apps or where to get worksheets to help with reading. 

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
GwenMB
by Gwen on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:58 AM

That is frustrating that it takes a random conversation to find this out when the report card said nothing & previous attempts to find out yielded nothing.

I would just ask what she's concerned about & go from there.

Starfall.com is good, as are their apps.

Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:03 AM

It is possible that she didn't get your emails. Sometimes the school's spam filter has blocked my gmail emails to the teachers, and so I usually use my work email instead. If I'm not sure if the teacher received my email, I try from a different email address the next time I send an email.

Hopefully, the phone call will help you and the teacher working together to improve your son's reading. I would ask what areas he is struggling in and what we can do at home to help.

carrie110
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:45 AM

She did get my emails.  She would respond saying that he was fitting in and getting along with the other kids.  In each email I ask her to please inform me if he was behind on anything, and she never said he was.

Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Quoting carrie110:

She did get my emails.  She would respond saying that he was fitting in and getting along with the other kids.  In each email I ask her to please inform me if he was behind on anything, and she never said he was.

Then maybe this thing in reading is a new thing. I found my son learns in bits and spurts, and his teachers have admitted to me that sometimes he would lag and sometimes be ahead of his peers.

Ask her during the phone call how long your son's reading has been an issue.

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:06 PM

If she said he is behind on his reading and wrote on the report card to continue working on sight words, she did tell you what to do.

KEEP READING AT HOME! The more he reads, start with easier level books and progress slowly to build reading confidence, the better a reader he will become. One day it will "click".

One program you can see if your school subscribes to or you can maybe do so on your own is Raz-Kids.

There are also sight word apps you can download. And websites with lists of sight words, or at Barnes and Noble, sight word workbooks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)