Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tonsils are getting removed

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:32 AM
  • 10 Replies
Any advice or tips on how to handle the first Week? how about recovery time
?my 5 year old is getting her tonsils and andoids out on the 29th due to obstruction of her airway so i know this is going to help her out tremendously i'm just really nervous.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
natesmom1228
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:45 AM

My son had his out and believe me the recovery was about a day. They bounce back pretty quickly. Make sure she drinks as much as possible, dehydration can happen quickly.

It's really not bad at all. My son was up within 2 days back to his old self.

SpurgeonMom
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Thank you! how long does it take for them to eat regular foods after the surgery?

Quoting natesmom1228:

My son had his out and believe me the recovery was about a day. They bounce back pretty quickly. Make sure she drinks as much as possible, dehydration can happen quickly.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
natesmom1228
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:53 AM

About 2 days for my son. He ate jello, pudding, and popsicles. He was able to eat eggs the next day. Then back to normal after that.

Quoting SpurgeonMom:

Thank you! how long does it take for them to eat regular foods after the surgery?

Quoting natesmom1228:

GwenMB
by Gwen on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:56 AM

How old was your son?  I recently heard that if they are over 5 that recovery takes longer.  Someone's 7 yo had his tonsils removed & was having a hard time almost a week later & the nurse said it was due to his age.

Quoting natesmom1228:

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Ds1 was 5 when he had his out, and he took a bit longer to bounce back. Of course, he's a big wimp when it comes to pain. It took a lot of cajoling to get him to drink anything; he even complained ice cream hurt. We let him eat whatever he wanted, as long as it was soft- for a few days, a lack of nutritional balance isn't going to hurt them. We got him a new movie to watch as soon as he felt up to it. Partly b/c he did take longer to bounce back, he missed about 5 days of school, but I think he's unusual w/ that.

natesmom1228
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Nathan was 8.

Quoting GwenMB:

How old was your son?  I recently heard that if they are over 5 that recovery takes longer.  Someone's 7 yo had his tonsils removed & was having a hard time almost a week later & the nurse said it was due to his age.

Quoting natesmom1228:

auggirl11
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this

i had mine out at 18months. just  a questions what lead up to your daughter having hers removed? good luck my niece had her out at 8 and she bounced back the next day!

SpurgeonMom
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:53 AM
her tonsils are so huge they are touching which is causing sleeping issues due to airway obstruction. thank you for the response, all of them are easing my worries

Quoting auggirl11:

i had mine out at 18months. just  a questions what lead up to your daughter having hers removed? good luck my niece had her out at 8 and she bounced back the next day!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
piwife
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Push fluids. My dd ended up in the hospital because she refuse fluids. She had a rough recovery. So push those like crazy, no straws. Lots of italian ice, jello, broth, noodles.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:54 PM

My son had his adenoids removed when he was 3. He still has his tonsils. I know his surgery was a less evasive, but he was acting completely normal by the evening of his surgery. For the first week, I pushed plenty of cold fluids and popsicles to reduce swelling in his throat.

Good luck to your daughter. I know it's scary, but I'm confident that she'll do well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)