Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

??QOTD?? 03/08/13

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:12 AM
  • 13 Replies

It's Genology Day....

How much of your family history do you know? Tell us a story from your family history....

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:00 AM

W/o looking at anything, just my grandparents. Somewhere I have back to great, or great-great grandparents written down.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:06 AM

I know a fair amount of my paternal grandmother's side. Her sister in law did extensive research on the whole tree. 

When my grandmothers parents were immigrating from Ireland her older brother , who was 7 at the time, didn't want to go. So the morning of the trip he hid in the barn. They had to leave with out him. Aunts and uncles took him and he lived in Ireland for his entire life and never saw his parents again. He tried to come the US for their 50th wedding anniversary. But he wasn't granted a VISA because he has been involved in the IRA. Even back in the 60s suspected terrorists weren't allowed in the US. 

I can't imagine moving to another country and leaving my child behind. But I guess when it's life or death you make unimaginable decisions. 

endurablemist
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:11 AM
My mom and uncle traced my grandmother's family back to the Mayflower. My grandfather's mother was adopted, so we can't go back further there.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Hey, Cindy, the date's wrong in your title!

Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:57 AM

My grandmother told me how her grandmother would tell her stories of seeing the Prince of England being carried around on a pillow as a baby when my great-great-grandmother was a child herself and lived in Nova Scotia. I've been told that side of my English heritage has some watered down royal blood in it, somehow from the Greys. Not sure if you've heard of Lady Jane Grey who was queen for nine days--those Greys. 

MJP76
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:59 AM

I know that my descendants on my moms side are Irish and French. I know my fathers side is Russian and Cherokee. That's really about it. Neither side of my family we really close nit ... So I don't have a lot to go on.

Pukalani79
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:14 PM

We've gone back a ways... I know that my on my dad's side there were drummer boys on each side during the Civil War and that the family were Mennonites.  I know on my mom's side there were members who walked the Trail of Tears and that my grandmother's aunt and uncle were Sam and Belle Starr who were horse thieves.

momofjkkc
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:16 PM
My mom tracked her line back to Queen Elizabeth Tudor. The guy Ceceil was her right hand, we derive from his youngest son. My dads side....Im not sure, my sister is finding more and more everyday
momofjkkc
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:16 PM
My mom tracked her line back to Queen Elizabeth Tudor. The guy Ceceil was her right hand, we derive from his youngest son. My dads side....Im not sure, my sister is finding more and more everyday
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:31 PM

I know all the way back to my great-grandparents and some of their siblings.  I actually knew 6 of my 8 great-grandparents and when I say this I mean that I honestly had a relationship with them and saw them on a regular basis.  I was nearly 10 years old when the first of them passed away, so I had a few years with them.  I was in my 20's when the last one passed away at 98 years old.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)