• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tell me about Karate

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Max
  • 48 Replies

Last night my 5 year old went to bring a friend night at a Karate studio. He loved it and wants to start taking regular classes. I'm thrilled because we've been trying to get him into a sport or activity and he has been really negative about it. 

Tell me about your experiences with kids in Karate. I know a couple of your kids are into it. Jinx? Anyone else?

About how much does it cost? Their website doesn't list the regular prices. They have in introductory offer for 2 classes for $30. I'm assuming the regular price is more. 

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LucyHarper
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:34 AM

My 10 year old brother (I'm his guardian) is in MMA and loves it. I'm not sure on the exact cost because he's there on a scholarship, but I know that it is quite a bit. It teaches him responsibility, how to control his anger, and he has a lot of fun doing it. 

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:34 AM

My niece did it for about 2 years and loved it.  She started in kindergarten too.  It really helped her self-esteem.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Quoting LucyHarper:

My 10 year old brother (I'm his guardian) is in MMA and loves it. I'm not sure on the exact cost because he's there on a scholarship, but I know that it is quite a bit. It teaches him responsibility, how to control his anger, and he has a lot of fun doing it. 

I hope it will help my son for the opposite reason. He's very timid and would rather let other people have their way than get angry. I'm hoping it will help him be a little more assertive. 

I have heard that it helps with anger issues. 

Sj218
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:43 AM
My son has done Kempo karate and Jui Jitsu for three years. He can attend as many classes every month as we would like, at his belt level there are up to 8 classes/Wk. it's $125/mo. Most of the time he goes to 3 or 4 classes per week. Two jui jitsu, one sparring class and one class that is specific for his belt level. We love it! He's 9 now and carries himself with such confidence. He's always been a good athlete and karate has helped him with his other sports as well. But I do think you have to talk to the instructor and see if their personality and teaching style are a good fit for your child. My sons dojo is very laid back, it's a fun but respectful atmosphere and the instructor has become a role model and mentor to some of the kids. It's not for everyone, but it's worth checking it out.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LucyHarper
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting LucyHarper:

I hope it will help my son for the opposite reason. He's very timid and would rather let other people have their way than get angry. I'm hoping it will help him be a little more assertive. 

It does teach them to be assertive, just in a nonviolent way.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Quoting Sj218:

My son has done Kempo karate and Jui Jitsu for three years. He can attend as many classes every month as we would like, at his belt level there are up to 8 classes/Wk. it's $125/mo. Most of the time he goes to 3 or 4 classes per week. Two jui jitsu, one sparring class and one class that is specific for his belt level. We love it! He's 9 now and carries himself with such confidence. He's always been a good athlete and karate has helped him with his other sports as well. But I do think you have to talk to the instructor and see if their personality and teaching style are a good fit for your child. My sons dojo is very laid back, it's a fun but respectful atmosphere and the instructor has become a role model and mentor to some of the kids. It's not for everyone, but it's worth checking it out.

That's one of the reasons I am so excited about it. The woman who did the class was great ans she does the classes for the younger kids. My son was really scared to go in. She did a great job of getting him to join in.  

The program was two hours long and included dinner. The family who invited us has a two year old and so do we. So while the boys were in the class we took the little ones next door for dinner. When my son realized I wasn't watching he got upset. The teacher handled it beautifully. She called me, but made sure he was set to go back to the class when he realized I really hadn't left. 

I wouldn't a super serious program that pressured the kids. When my brother was little he did Karate for a while and hated it. But that dojo was super competitive and stressful. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Quoting LucyHarper:

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting LucyHarper:

It does teach them to be assertive, just in a nonviolent way.

That's perfect. 

thebailiffs
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:52 AM

What a great sport for little boys. My son started when he was 4 1/2 and he is 6 now. He is a recommeded black belt.  He is also starting to teach the white belts (the firstbelt). He has really helped him with self control. 

When we first started I had no idea what it was about.  But now knowing all that it has to offer. Every time he has to preform in front of crowds he builds confidence. 

Self-control, perseverance, indomitable spirit and integrity. 

aetrom
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:53 AM
My sons do taikwondo and I am very pleased with it. Flexibility, sport, discipline, teamwork (despite being an individual sport) and is helping them both so much!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:53 AM

My 5yo also went to "bring a buddy" night a few weeks ago. Our local studio charges $90/month after you get through the introductory deal. It's a little steep IMO...

It's very popular around here, though. I'll be interested to read what others have to say.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)