Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Appropriate amount of "homework" time for kindergartener?

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:15 PM
  • 10 Replies
Hello. My son is in kindergarten, and I'm trying to establish a decent schedule for him, including "homework" time. How much time should I expect him to be able to commit to it at 6 years old? His teacher doesn't really give actual homework; I just want him to sit and practice writing his letters, numbers, etc and read a bit. Would 30 minutes be reasonable? I don't want to do too much, but I also don't want to do too little.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Emily197
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:19 PM

My daughter is also in kindergarten we usually spend about 30- 40 minutes on homework. she gets 1 sheet of homework a day along with a sheet of sentences she has to read usually takes about 10 minutes, and a book then we work on site words and counting things like that. time can very depending on the work that is sent home but we do homework while i cook dinner

Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:33 PM

10 minutes per grade plus reading. 

So at kindergarten, I would stick to 10 minutes or less of worksheets and 15-20 minutes of reading for a night.

Kris_PBG
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:49 PM
10 minutes of academic time. (paper/pencil activities, academic games, etc...) plus 15-30 minutes of reading time.

It is supposed to be 10 minutes per grade, so 10 for 1st grade, 20 for 2nd, etc... I would stick with 10 for K as well.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
miss_AP
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I just let my girls play and they like to write and draw and color, which I think is sufficient for kindergarten. My first grader does not have homework but will next year in public school.

Luv.My.Kidz
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:30 PM

30 mins is more than enough time at 6yrs old. My 1st grader has about that much time in homework everyday.

Mocking.Jay
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 10:33 AM
30 minutes, give or take. 5 is a short attention span, haha.
jen113000
by Jenna on Mar. 10, 2013 at 10:41 AM
10-15 minutes of work. 10-15 minutes of reading.
susieQ680
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 10:54 AM

yea i remember when my son was in kindergarten they didn't even give homework ,I used to make him wright at the house and read my son reading level is above the schools level

AnGLInterrupted
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:42 AM

DD spends about10-15 minutes on her homework minus additional reading. Kids this age still have a very short attention span.  Anything over that (IMO) and you're asking for a minor meltdown.

anony111
by Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:51 AM

None. Trust me, he'll get overwhelmed with it later. Let him enjoy being a kid before school robs him of it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)