Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

"Look! Look! Watch me! Look at this!"

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:31 PM
  • 11 Replies
The last few days, SS5 has been very demanding about us 'watching him'. I was trying to cook dinner he kept harping on me to watch his ninja moves. Last night, I was trying to take an important online test (for school) and he kept trying to shove his new book in my face. Just a while ago, when I was trying to have a conversation with DH and BIL, he kept yelling at me to "Come and look at this!"

When we tell him, "Just give us a few minutes" or "Not right now, I'm busy" he gets upset. He starts harping more and says, "No. Come right now."

We've gotten on to him about interrupting, demanding, and being rude - but for the last few days he's been in our faces about everything he thinks we need to see.

Have you gone through this? How did you deal with it? I've been telling him one time that I'm busy and then ignoring him when he starts harping, but is that the way to go?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
little.worthen
by Tess on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:37 PM
1. My son started this at 5, he still does it and he is now 8
2. I came up with a great invention a long time ago to combat this (if you don't mind a little fib to your kids, it works wonders)
I told my son that I installed a camera in his head and a viewer in mine so if I turn it on I can see anything he sees.

It has helped with, oh mom look at this! While I'm trying to make dinner, as well as, "I only got three stars today because this othe kid did this!" "Oh really?" "Was your camera on?" "Yes" "well after I threw the pencil at him I got 2 stars taken down"

And several other things. It still works to this day.
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:52 PM

What are consequences for when he does not listen?   I would use a consequence for when he keeps interrupting whatever you are doing.   For dd who is 7 if she continues to repeat things she loses computer time for that day.   She likes to yell excuse me really loud to get your attention.

susieQ680
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 5:07 PM

well my son does that but my son knows better he is 7 so i make him do squats againstthe wall  while he holds his hands out . Talking to my son doesn't do any good it just makes him worst . I have found standing against the wall in a squat position with his arms out does the trick

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 5:10 PM
I set a timer. Giving him a defined time when I will look helps.
corrinacs
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 5:32 PM

YES,  my son has been doing this a lot lately :/.  I know its because he craves attention.  He does have a younger brother with some special needs so its hard for us to give him 1-1 attention all the time :/.

But we are woking on the patience thing.  I just "test" him.  If she starts acting like that, I refuse to see what he wants me to see until he calms down, asks me nicely and waits for me to finish the task I'm working on.  Its a work in progress, but its much better than what it used to be :)

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:26 AM

My 5yo DD does this sometimes. When we tell her to wait a minute and she continues, she gets a warning. If she continues, she goes into timeout. I don't know if you do timeouts with your DS, but they are what works for my kids.

Bottom line is, there needs to be some kind of consequences for not listening when he is told to wait. Are you implementing any right now? If so, what are they?

Alexis Emma 10-13-1999 - 13 years old
Kirsten Leslie 03-14-2004 - 8 years old
Sarah Mackenzie 08-14-2007 - 5 years old
Charlotte Amelia & Harmon David 04-12-2012 - 11 months old
Angela Victoria 06-09-1996 - 16 years old (niece) 

CrazedMomof2
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:55 AM
If they were not rudely interrupting I would give him a minute and just watch him. It sounds like he is desperate for your attention. If he was interrupting me while I was talking, I would remind him I was talking and I would be done in a few minutes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KristenFowles
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:57 AM

Sounds like a pretty typical 5 year old...

You suck it up while constantly "correcting" it and wait for them to outgrow it..

suetoo
by Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:19 AM

This is common with kids and very age appropriate. If it gets worse, try making " interrupting coupons". Print or cut and color them, and agree that with them, he can wave one at you and be allowed to interrupt. And honor it, stop what you are doing, listen with good eye contact, and engaged body language, (turned to him, leaning down). Take back the coupon. After he redeems the last one for that day, ignore any further interruptions. As he matures and learns polite social behavior, it will get better. 

MsLogansMommy
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:09 PM
1 mom liked this

My dd went to a montessori preschool (she is in 1st grade now) and they taught her the most awesome thing totally worth the money if you can afford it I cant say enough about montessori they taught her to walk over to whatever adult she is trying to get attention from and put her hand on their hip the adult then either touches the childs hand to acknowledge them or gives them eye contact the adult then finishes their convo or whatever it is they were doing and then turns the attention to the child. The only way this works is if you can make sure to acknowledge to the child you know they want to tell you something and then when it is their turn to talk to you you say give them appropriate kudo's (couldnt think of the word but you guys know what i mean by kudo's ) saying something like, "thank you for waiting so patiently etc. " and never make the child wait too long for your attention. My dd very rarely interrupts my conversations now and I always give praise (thats the word i was looking for) when she does this

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN