Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Stomach bug!

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:47 PM
  • 24 Replies
My 6 year old son has had the stomach flu for the past 3 days! He is eating very little and drinking okay, but I still worry about dehydration! The doc said this big can last 2-5 days. I was wondering if anyone else had battled this terrible bug, and how long it lasted! I hate to see him this sick! He is so tall and skinny to begin with, and I can see all his ribs now!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rsrangel
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Wow.  I've never seen it last more than 24 hours.  That would make me nervous!  If he is showing any signs of dehydration, don't hesitate to take him to the ER.   Keep him sipping on Gatorade!   One of my kids refuses to drink anything when sick.  I put Gatorade in one of those syringe type droppers and put it in his mouth like medicine several times per hour when he is sick.  Feel better soon!

ambercates
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:55 PM
Me either! It usually only last 1-2 days! Sprite is the only thing I can get him to drink! He felt okay this morning and ate a little, but started feeling bad again this afternoon! I have a 12 month old too, and I pray he doesn't get it! I hope he wakes up feeling better, if not I'm going back to the doctor!

Quoting rsrangel:

Wow.  I've never seen it last more than 24 hours.  That would make me nervous!  If he is showing any signs of dehydration, don't hesitate to take him to the ER.   Keep him sipping on Gatorade!   One of my kids refuses to drink anything when sick.  I put Gatorade in one of those syringe type droppers and put it in his mouth like medicine several times per hour when he is sick.  Feel better soon!

eb415
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Make sure his pee is relatively clear, and that he's going to the bathroom fairly often - if he is, and his pee is relatively clear, I wouldn't worry too much about dehydration.

It sucks though - hope he feels better!

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:09 PM
1 mom liked this

This latest stomach bug lasts for days on end.  My good friend's boys had it for 4 days last week.  Be sure to have him take sips often and try foods high in water content.  As long as he is using the restroom on a fairly regular basis, he isn't dehydrated.

I avoid the ER like the plague, so I would opt for urgent care or my own doctor.  The ER should be an absolute last resort.

janitablue
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:15 PM

I agreed with steel. There is really nothing you can do but wait for it to be over. Hugs if it passed five days than give your doctor a cal. May sure  he drinks warm water or soup to fight the gas. Good luck

rsrangel
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Try to get him to drink Gatorade to restore his electrolytes.  This is important.  :)

Quoting ambercates:

Me either! It usually only last 1-2 days! Sprite is the only thing I can get him to drink! He felt okay this morning and ate a little, but started feeling bad again this afternoon! I have a 12 month old too, and I pray he doesn't get it! I hope he wakes up feeling better, if not I'm going back to the doctor!

Quoting rsrangel:

ambercates
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:36 PM
Thanks! I agree! I am constantly making him drink something! The ER usually doesn't do much anyway!

Quoting steelcrazy:

This latest stomach bug lasts for days on end.  My good friend's boys had it for 4 days last week.  Be sure to have him take sips often and try foods high in water content.  As long as he is using the restroom on a fairly regular basis, he isn't dehydrated.

I avoid the ER like the plague, so I would opt for urgent care or my own doctor.  The ER should be an absolute last resort.

ambercates
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:37 PM
Thank you!

Quoting janitablue:

I agreed with steel. There is really nothing you can do but wait for it to be over. Hugs if it passed five days than give your doctor a cal. May sure  he drinks warm water or soup to fight the gas. Good luck

ambercates
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:43 PM
Bump
Momforhealth
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:57 PM
Do probiotics help? Does he have fever? Wouldn't worry so much about food until he's kept fluids down for 24 hours. Little sips at a time. Too much will make him sick again. Then work on BRAT diet.
My kids getting over resp. Bug. It was bad. Hope yours feels better soon.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)