Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
Do your kiddos talk to their friends on the phone. If so how old were they when they started talking to their friends on the phone? If not, how old do they have to be before you will allow them?

My friend and I had a fairly heated discussion about this...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 10:17 AM
Replies (61-68):
jaytee
by Jen on Mar. 12, 2013 at 1:49 PM

My thoughts are that it is not so strange that my kiddos don't talk to their friends on the phone. It's just not something that they are really concerned with. Apparently she thinks that they should be talking to their friends on the phone by now. I disagree, I just don't think it's all that important. 

I didn't talk to my friends on the phone until middle school. My kiddos are only in elementary and it's not like they don't know how to use the phone or talk on one, kwim?

Quoting fullxbusymom:

So what exactly are your thoughts OP vs. your friend OP??

Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 12, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Maybe your definition of talking on the phone is different than hers? At 9 years old, my son and his friends were calling each other to arrange getting together in person, but I wouldn't consider that really "talking" on the phone either. I don't think a lot of kids start to do that until they're 9-14, and like others pointed out, a lot of kids talk through other ways (text, skype/face time, xbox live) now instead of on the phone, per se.

Quoting jaytee:

Apparently my kiddos are strange because they don't talk to friends on the phone. She said ALL kids talk to their friends on the phone. Gah! No not all of them, obviously. My kids aren't worried about talking on the phone, they want to actually be outside playing with their friends! Well my 9 year old dd does talk to one of her friends from our old neighborhood but they text. 

Anyhow it's pretty obvious by this post that not ALL kiddos talk on the phone and certainly not for hours...

Quoting Barabell:

Are you going to update us on your heated discussion about this??

jaytee
by Jen on Mar. 12, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Maybe. My kiddos friends are in the neighborhood so they just come over to see if they want to play. Her kiddos pretty much stay in the house and I think they are more just on the phone with each other then they are actually talking. They watch a show together or play video games together. I don't know how much actual talking they are doing. It made me irritated that she said all kids talk on the phone after I had said my kiddos don't. Kwim?

Quoting Barabell:

Maybe your definition of talking on the phone is different than hers? At 9 years old, my son and his friends were calling each other to arrange getting together in person, but I wouldn't consider that really "talking" on the phone either. I don't think a lot of kids start to do that until they're 9-14, and like others pointed out, a lot of kids talk through other ways (text, skype/face time, xbox live) now instead of on the phone, per se.

Quoting jaytee:

Apparently my kiddos are strange because they don't talk to friends on the phone. She said ALL kids talk to their friends on the phone. Gah! No not all of them, obviously. My kids aren't worried about talking on the phone, they want to actually be outside playing with their friends! Well my 9 year old dd does talk to one of her friends from our old neighborhood but they text. 

Anyhow it's pretty obvious by this post that not ALL kiddos talk on the phone and certainly not for hours...

Quoting Barabell:

Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 12, 2013 at 3:07 PM

I totally get what you mean. I'd be irritated with her too.

Quoting jaytee:

Maybe. My kiddos friends are in the neighborhood so they just come over to see if they want to play. Her kiddos pretty much stay in the house and I think they are more just on the phone with each other then they are actually talking. They watch a show together or play video games together. I don't know how much actual talking they are doing. It made me irritated that she said all kids talk on the phone after I had said my kiddos don't. Kwim?

Bella14308
by Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 3:11 PM
My oler girls really started this year at ages 8 & 9.
calsmom62
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 7:08 PM
Young people are seemingly uncomfortable with voice calls. I know if I called my adult kids when they were teens and in college, it was more disconcerting than if I texted. Texting was more neutral and .less stressful to them and their friends.

Quoting LuvingMy3Girls:

I really think its a shame. My 14dd is very social, much older than her actual age but she seems to have a phone phobia. The few times I've made her call someone it's strange and awkward and I think it's because she never has talk time with her own friends

Quoting mjande4:

I agree with this. Between texting, x-box headsets, and Facebook, there isn't much talking on an actual phone anymore.

Quoting LuvingMy3Girls:

From my experience kids don't talk much on the phone anymore. They text. My 9dd just started face timing her friends who have iPods. I guess that's sort of like calling

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 12, 2013 at 8:32 PM

My five year old gets on and says hi if I'm on the phone with a friend's mom. But he doesn't call people for a conversation. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 12, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Sheesh! 

Tell your to quit running around playing with their friends in the fresh air and get inside and call them like normal kids!!

What are you thinking!?

Quoting jaytee:

Quoting Barabell:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN