Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

How do you convince a 10 year old to wear a bra?

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:07 PM
  • 39 Replies

I have been struggling for months to get my 10 year old DD to wear a bra, especially at school where her uniform includes a white blouse.  Although she is clearly developing and increasingly "needs" a bra, she never wears one voluntarily.  If I (or another family member) points out that her "developments" are showing, she will grudgingly put on a sweater or layer with a tanktop.

During the winter  it hasn't been much of an issue because she has been wearing sweaters almost every day.  However, according to her teacher, she has sometimes taken off the sweater due to overheating (possibly to the delight of the curious boys in her class, grrr...).  With temperatures starting to warm up, she's not going to want to wear the sweater, and probably not a tanktop either.

I was hoping this would be a "phase" that would have passed by now, but we had another big argument about this today.  I have tried getting every type of bra imaginable; she just doesn't want to wear one.  I can't stand to argue about this every single day; I just can't.

by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kjbugsmom1517
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:11 PM
This would be one of those things id let her learn the hard way. Maybe having the immature boys make her uncomfortable she will start wearing one. A few times my mom embarrassed the crap out of me for not wearin a bra when i needed to and it solved that lol. I liked sport bras at that age too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Have you taken her shopping for bras?  Make it a special day, just the two of you.  Let her pick the style/color that she likes and then do lunch or coffee to make it seem more like a right of passage that is celebrated, instead of your mom nagging you to wear this bra that she bought for you.

MichelleSw
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:28 PM
I would offer her different styles! My 6 yr old has some little boobage! She uses character sports bra styles! Or a cami with built in support. It's mostly so it doesn't show under her shirt! She gets annoye but I let her know just because she doesn't think people notice, they do! And will see all her goods
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
interval
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Quoting steelcrazy:

Have you taken her shopping for bras?  Make it a special day, just the two of you.  Let her pick the style/color that she likes and then do lunch or coffee to make it seem more like a right of passage that is celebrated, instead of your mom nagging you to wear this bra that she bought for you.

We did that a while back and she won't even wear the bras she picked out and I paid for.  Needless to say I am not pleased.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Quoting interval:

Quoting steelcrazy:

We did that a while back and she won't even wear the bras she picked out and I paid for.  Needless to say I am not pleased.

I would stop pushing at this point, then.  It seems like the more that you push the issue, the more she pushes back.  Give her a little responsibility and put the decision to wear a bra or not into her hands.  Honestly, she isn't hurting anyone except herself by not wearing a bra.  I'm sure that she will come around on her own, especially when she discovers that all of her friends are wearing them.

Lydlou02
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Go with sports bras. My 13y niece is just now starting to need bras. I took her shopping at the mall yesterday. We went to arie and got her sized, but all their bras are underwires. Then we went to Penny's and picked out five different types of wireless bras. She ended up choosing a cami and a good T-back sports bra. I also explained to her that light padding is a good thing because it hides it if she 's cold.
Does your DD have an aunt or older cousin who can help convince her to wear those regularly?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrazedMomof2
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:54 PM
My 10 year old wears camis and sport bra types. She is noticing it more now and wears them in her own. I used to nag her but then I have up because it was a fight. Now, she does usually choose one on her own and if she doesn't I mention that it may it may look better with something under and she usually gets it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Yellowlily333
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:56 PM

I would just have her wear the tanktop under for now

endurablemist
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 7:13 AM
My DD is 10 also, she doesn't mind wearing them, but she forgets to wear them sometimes. I don't push the issue much, every once in awhile I will remind her. But of course she doesn't wear much white.
Does she say why she doesn't want to wear them?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mysweet1s
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 7:21 AM
1 mom liked this

I was one of the first girls in my class to develop.  I hated wearing bras...it embarassed me.  I fought with my mom every day too.  Finally,she explained that it was just something I had to get used to.  We made a deal that if I wore a bra everyday for a month with no compaints, she would reward me with a trip to a local waterpark.  BUT, after that, if I complained or didn't wear a bar when I needed to,I would straight up be punished becaues it was inappropriate.  Worked.  

My 9 year old daughter wears cami's with built in bra-lets.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN