Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Sorry, my kid doesn't eat anything homemade.

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:55 PM
  • 138 Replies

DS brought in muffins disguised as cupcakes to school.  Lemon poppy is his favorite.  As a surprise, I swirled a little bit of frosting using a pastry tube and topped them off with a piece of strawberry.  Cute, healthy, peanut free, and most of all DS loves them.

At pick up, the teacher handed the tote back to me saying there are some leftovers as we have kids who are allergic to everything homemade.  WHAT?!  I have never heard of this.  What do they eat?  Have you heard this at your school?

by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
piwife
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:56 PM
6 moms liked this
At my dd's school if we bring cupackes they have to be store bought
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Thelmama
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:57 PM

My son is allergic to all dairy and eggs.  I have alternatives I make for him though. Some kids are allergic to gluten. Yes, it is true. Some schools to not allow homemade treats unless all ingredients are disclosed. Some do not allow home made goods and only goods with labels allowed. So yes it is possible. I know how to cook for my son, what to replace etc etc.  If we go places, we take safe things for him to eat.

ETA: He is anaphalytic to those items, not just intolerant. He has an epi pen. A goldfish cracker could kill him in less than 5 minutes without an epi pen. He is old enough to know how to handle his allergies etc. We have taught him since he was a toddler, how to protect himself.

OneToughMami
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I work for the school district...I am not allowed to bring in anything homemade.

gsmom9
by Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 1:01 PM

my son got that way after kindergarten. i thought if he helped me cook, hed change his eating preferences. im not martha stewart, but im not a bad cook. they get box stuff at daycare too. he loves their muffins. he used to scarf dow my banana muffins, but now he wont eat any variety of homemade muffins, because they arent the same as at daycare. arghhhh

aj23
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 1:02 PM
2 moms liked this
There's no way a kid its allergic to everything homemade. Certain things sure but not everything. The parents may have told them not to eat homemade things and that's all fine and dandy but to call it an allergy is a stretch.

I've took lots off things to school and some kids eat it and some don't and some just don't like it. Its not a big deal. If the kids don't eat it they can do without or in the cases where the parents limit what the kids can have they can provide an alternative snack.
indymom72
by Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 1:03 PM

I would imagine it was due to gluten, wheat or dairy allergies.  My sons school doesn't allow homemade treats for that reason.

EslingerCrew11
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 1:04 PM
No homemade items at school here
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
the3Rs
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 1:07 PM
3 moms liked this
Quoting aj23:

There's no way a kid its allergic to everything homemade. Certain things sure but not everything. The parents may have told them not to eat homemade things and that's all fine and dandy but to call it an allergy is a stretch.

I've took lots off things to school and some kids eat it and some don't and some just don't like it. Its not a big deal. If the kids don't eat it they can do without or in the cases where the parents limit what the kids can have they can provide an alternative snack.

You really can't "know" that.  Without a list of ingredients, there is no way to tell if the muffin/cupcakes were made from something that they ARE allergic to.  If you don't know - you don't eat it.  I see nothing wrong with them saying they're allergic to homemade foods, because if they're allergic to an ingredient very commonly used to bake things (like dairy, gluten, etc.) then chances are they ARE allergic to whatever people bring in.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 1:11 PM
I agree. Better safe than sorry.

Quoting the3Rs:

Quoting aj23:

You really can't "know" that.  Without a list of ingredients, there is no way to tell if the muffin/cupcakes were made from something that they ARE allergic to.  If you don't know - you don't eat it.  I see nothing wrong with them saying they're allergic to homemade foods, because if they're allergic to an ingredient very commonly used to bake things (like dairy, gluten, etc.) then chances are they ARE allergic to whatever people bring in.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SahmTam
by Tammy on Mar. 11, 2013 at 1:13 PM

We aren't allowed to have snacks or birthday/holiday treats at all now, but when we were...

My daughter isn't allergic to everything homemade, BUT she was not allowed to have anything homemade that was brought in to school. She has a treenut allergy. Some people are very diligent about their baking and checking each and every ingredient, but other people think that just because they didn't toss in a handful of nuts they are safe for a treenut allergy kiddo. Unfortunately, I don't know which group the parent would fall into, so she just doesn't have homemade treats ever. Better safe than sorry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)