Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Send a Gifted 6 yr to Art,an Music Camp all Summer???

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 8:29 AM
  • 29 Replies
So our daughter will be 6 in April an she is really Gifted in the Art an Music area's (her father is ) I think that we should send her to another Camp that focus's on Science,Math,Art,History,Language an Writing....I would rather her be enhanced across the board with a broader range of subject's instead of just 2 ............what do you all think???
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 8:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Why not ask her which she thinks she'd like more? She learns all those other things in school, whether she wants to or not, so she might like the chance to focus on just the fun stuff.

SahmTam
by Tammy on Mar. 12, 2013 at 8:39 AM

My only opinion is that it's your call. I can see benefits either way.

Summer seems like the perfect time to spend a lot of time learning more about what she loves- especially since art and music aren't areas that are as focused on in school, typically. She could learn more about the other subjects at home or on trips/outtings.

However, if it's important to you that she has a wider variety of subjects in a camp setting, that can be beneficial, too.

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 9:28 AM
I say ask her what she wants to do. I would pick the one she'd like the most, that way she's learning and having fun.
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 9:28 AM
I say ask her what she wants to do. I would pick the one she'd like the most, that way she's learning and having fun.
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 9:47 AM
If she enjoys it and has talent, why not send her? I think summer should be about relaxing and having fun. You can always do worksheets at home if you're concerned about the other subjects.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 12, 2013 at 9:49 AM

I'd ask her which on interests her more.

corrinacs
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Ask her :).  That's what I would do.  I understand where you are coming from though :).  Do your research to find the best camp and let her choose.  

That's phenominal that she's gifted in music :).  I'd really "milk" that :).

Good luck!

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 10:13 AM
All summer? When do you have family time?

Camp that focuses on school subjects...for a 6 yo? Blah...sorry!

I sent my kids to camp at 6-7yo but for a week or two at most. I can't see sending a child that young away for 2 months plus.
quickbooksworm
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 10:16 AM
I send mine to karate camp all summer. We have the evenings to do reading and other things.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
quickbooksworm
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 10:17 AM
Most camps aren't sleep away. And some people have jobs they go to during the day and choose day camps rather than daycare.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

All summer? When do you have family time?

Camp that focuses on school subjects...for a 6 yo? Blah...sorry!

I sent my kids to camp at 6-7yo but for a week or two at most. I can't see sending a child that young away for 2 months plus.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN