Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Does anyone else child do this?

Posted by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 2:16 PM
  • 37 Replies

All three of my kids attend the same school.  Two are in first grade and my oldest is in second.  On Valentines day all three volunteered for me to bring something to the class party and help out.  Before talking to me.  Im a stay at home mom, so normally I dont mind, but three in one day is a little much.  My youngest just did it again.  I have spoken to them all, and explained to them moomy loves to help at school, but you need to talk to mommy and ask her first.  Has anyone else gone through this? If you have do you have any advice on how to curb their enthusiasm? 

Belinda
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 2:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bleumonster
by Gold Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 2:22 PM
2 moms liked this
My daughter is bad about this LOL. She volunteered me to pick up pizzas for the class this year. Thank goodness I just have one that does this. No advice, just commiseration ;).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
young_lv_mom
by Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 2:23 PM
3 moms liked this
I know when I was in school they made us pick something for our parents to bring in, I always said plates for napkins because we were poor, maybe email or talk to the teacher and let her know you like helping out but you need to be asked first so that you can make sure you have the time to get what you need.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
natesmom1228
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 2:24 PM

No the teachers always send sign up sheets home.

SahmTam
by Tammy on Mar. 13, 2013 at 2:25 PM
2 moms liked this

Sorry, I haven't. Our teachers put out a sign up list at Back to School Night (kids don't come to that) and they use a sign up website for volunteers, so kids can't sign their parents up. I would talk to their teachers and just let them know that they need to check with you to make sure you are really available when one of your kids signs you up. Maybe nicely suggest that they make it so that only parents can sign themselves up to help.

belindah
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 2:38 PM

i was considering talking to the teachers

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 2:48 PM
2 moms liked this

No, I haven't.  Then again, our school isn't asinine enough to ask the children if their parents want to send in something or volunteer.  They actually talk to the parents about that.

steelcage
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Uhm...I don't know of any class that would give small children the authority to sign up for things. At my kids' schools they send home sheets for parents to sign up and return it so they know who is bringing what.

Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 13, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Quoting steelcrazy:

No, I haven't.  Then again, our school isn't asinine enough to ask the children if their parents want to send in something or volunteer.  They actually talk to the parents about that.

LOL, this.

MotherofMiles
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 3:12 PM
As the teacher I would send a volunteer sheet home, not take the child's word for something, especially 1st and 2nd graders.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bad-Wolf
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 3:16 PM

No, we have online sign ups, or the teacher asks parents directly

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)