Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need a little help... So frustrated! Sorry about the font, I'm not getting editing options... UPDATE ON PAGE 2

Posted by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 3:51 PM
  • 18 Replies
So, DSS is in kinder and has figured out that when he pretends he doesn't know what to do or the answer someone always gives him the answer and he gets special help (basically the TA sits next to him and does the work for him) in class... Well that doesn't fly at home! I'm tired of receiving notes from his teacher "He really needs to review this" or "Had to have a lot of help" on things that he was doing before kinder ever started! Now, he's starting to pretend he doesn't know the answers at home for homework and stuff trying to make us do it for him... I'm at my wit's end. I don't know what to do anymore, he's not a stupid child, but he likes to pretend he is. He'll give us answers he knows is wrong. For example, we were working on opposites today and I asked what the opposite of wet was and he told me "umbrella" I told him that was a good try that an umbrella helped us stay the opposite of wet and asked him what umbrella's do. He said "They keep you dry" and I told him that was a great answer and asked So if umbrella's keep you the opposite of wet, what's is the opposite of wet? You just told me the answer" and he responds "play in the water" This went on for 30 minutes. I approached it several different ways and because I wouldn't give him the answer he was giving me answers he knew were wrong.... Has anyone else gone through this? I need some advice please.
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 3:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 4:13 PM

I wonder if there could be something going on with the processing part of the brain.  Does he laugh when the wrong answer is given or is he very serious about it? DD was able to get her classmates to help her alot in school as well if she pretended she didnt know the material.   The teacher even saw she knew it but would bamboozle others into helping her.   We would takw away a privilege if she purposely did not do her work.   If she did do her work on time at the time it needed to be done, she would earn an extra privilege like an ice cream cone or extra computer time.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Have you had a meeting with his teacher about this?  What does she say?

Honestly, I would walk away and let him work on his homework on his own.  If he is going to act silly and not do the work with you helping him, then he doesn't get the privilege of your help.

Tryshx
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 4:41 PM
He does have a processing problem but it's manifests differently... His is more like a short term memory problem when introduced to new things... So to get him to remember sight words and things he has to repeat them over and over verbally and write them multiple times. So they transfer into long term memory.
Quoting frndlyfn:

I wonder if there could be something going on with the processing part of the brain.  Does he laugh when the wrong answer is given or is he very serious about it? DD was able to get her classmates to help her alot in school as well if she pretended she didnt know the material.   The teacher even saw she knew it but would bamboozle others into helping her.   We would takw away a privilege if she purposely did not do her work.   If she did do her work on time at the time it needed to be done, she would earn an extra privilege like an ice cream cone or extra computer time.

Tryshx
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 4:45 PM
He wants us to get so frustrated that we give up and either give him the answers or allow him to stop working. I've sent notes and left voicemails for the teacher and she's never responded. I don't know what to do and DH is getting to the end of his patience.
Quoting steelcrazy:

Honestly, I would walk away and let him work on his homework on his own.  If he is going to act silly and not do the work with you helping him, then he doesn't get the privilege of your help.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Mar. 13, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Is it possible for you to go to the school, say before class starts or right after its done, and try to catch the teacher?  If not, I'd call & ask to speak with the counselor or principal.

Quoting Tryshx:

He wants us to get so frustrated that we give up and either give him the answers or allow him to stop working. I've sent notes and left voicemails for the teacher and she's never responded. I don't know what to do and DH is getting to the end of his patience.
Quoting steelcrazy:

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Immaturity? Sadly I have some kids like this is my class... and they are in 2nd grade.

Tryshx
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 5:58 PM
I'm hoping that's all it is, but it's still very frustrating. I think a lot of it is pure laziness too, he just doesn't want to do the work. I just wish I knew how to better handle it.
Quoting mom22tumblebugs:

Immaturity? Sadly I have some kids like this is my class... and they are in 2nd grade.

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 6:12 PM
1 mom liked this

If he's goofing off and not really having trouble when you're doing homework, I'd give him a few minutes and just say "That's too bad.  I'd hoped to go to the playground (library, mall, whatever floats his boat) but since you're giving me silly answers, we're just going to have to work longer instead."  

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Try setting a timer and only working 15-20 min at a time. Also, is he in any extra curriculars/sports that require sticking to a schedule? If not, I would get him in one or two.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 6:22 PM
1 mom liked this

OK, so have you tried letting him do the homework on his own?  There really is no need for you to be hovering while he does it.  Leave the room, that way he can't hound you for answers.  Offer a reward if he does his homework on his own without hounding you for so many days in a row.

Quoting Tryshx:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)