Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

She doesnt sleep! help!

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:51 PM
  • 8 Replies

Im having issues with my 5 year old going to bed at night. Im not working now because im expecting but when I was I worked gravehard shifts so even when I wasnt working I would still go to bed super late and wake up late. I let my daughter have the same sleeping schedule as me and I asked the nanny to keep it that way because it was easier for me. My daughter is homeschooled this year so she doesnt necessarily have to have a schedule right now but since im not working I go to bed early and wake up early and when the baby comes its going to be the same way. I want to get her used to going to bed at a decent time- right now she stays up till 1, 2am and then finally gets tired and passes out. so I asked the pharmacist what he thought I could give her and he said that gummy melatonin wouldnt hurt her if it was the minimum amount. When I give it to her she goes to bed within 20 min and sleeps very well and is able to now wake up early. I thought I could do that for a week or so and get her used to going to bed at that time but it seems if she doesnt have it she just still wont go to sleep early. I dont know what else I can do! I dont want to feel like I need to drug my daughter to get her to go to bed, but if shes not tired how do can I force her to go to sleep?

Does anyone know what I can do or has had this problem before!?

pregnancy calendar
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
eb415
by Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:04 PM
1 mom liked this

We've never had that problem.  I'd probably stay away from the melatonin.  Since it works, could you try giving her a placebo, like a vitamin?  It might work.  Otherwise you could try getting her up early in the morning even if she goes to bed late a couple days in a row.  It would probably be a rough couple days, but it might help to reset her sleep schedule.

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Since you have time before school starts in the fall.. why mot try waking her up 30-60min earlier, ans pushing bedtime up the same amount, and start a routine.

Try a story, warm milk, brush teeth ans cuddles.. starting at midnight, and wake at 10am.. for a few weeks then 11, 10.. so on
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkParadox
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:14 PM
This. If you want her to go to bed early, get her up early, and follow a nightly routine. Don't let her nap either.

Quoting mommaFruFru:

Since you have time before school starts in the fall.. why mot try waking her up 30-60min earlier, ans pushing bedtime up the same amount, and start a routine.

Try a story, warm milk, brush teeth ans cuddles.. starting at midnight, and wake at 10am.. for a few weeks then 11, 10.. so on
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
janitablue
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:55 AM

I agreed.............

Quoting PinkParadox:

This. If you want her to go to bed early, get her up early, and follow a nightly routine. Don't let her nap either.

Quoting mommaFruFru:

aetrom
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:37 AM
When we do jetlag we deal with the same thing. Keep active and in sunlight during the day and in the evenings no electronics, stay quiet, dimmer lights, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soymujer
by Mikki on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:06 AM
1 mom liked this

melatonin isn't a drug but a supplement that the body produces naturally to help one go to sleep.  In some people, they don't produce enough so they take the supplement to help out.  Because her body has gotten used to going to bed so late, she is having difficulty adjusting to the new bedtime.  I would get in a routine of bath, brush teeth and reading every night to help her calm down, eventually, she'll get used to it.  As others have stated, warm milk may help.

family in the van   Mom of four

othermom
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:55 PM

I would start moving her bed time back by a little each night. Try to get her to bed 15 minutes early and wake her up 15 minutes early for a few days, then do it a little early  then earlier.

Ihatelaundry
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Sleepy time tea is a favorite in my house for my sometimes hard to sleep 7 year old. You can put some milk in it to achieve the "warm milk feeling" and also maybe find a new stuffed animal that becomes very sleepy at a certain time and the stuffed animal needs your daughter to snuggle with so it can fall asleep. Go online and find a special bedtime song or buy a cheap radio that has peaceful sounds mode. My son has one that makes ocean waves, wind chimes and a stream....I think their is one more. My son gets to choose which one he wants to listen too and then we make up a bedtime story that involves his choice of sound. It works great and its very calming to me as well. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)