Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

At what age do you let your kid go to school on their own?

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:51 AM
  • 68 Replies

My son is eight hears old and he wants to go to school by himself. I work very close to his school so I drop him off half way and let him go to school by himself because he wants to .  What age do you let your child/children go to school on their own?

by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 2:44 AM

Well for walking I would say not until 9 or 10.  Our bus stop is right on end of apartment complex drive way so we walk her down and use that as more quality time.   She is in the 1st grade and we just picked up an extra child for the mornings since a neighbor has started school and her kinder child has to have an adult with them in the morning and afternoon.  We are the morning adults ha ha.

endurablemist
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:57 AM
1 mom liked this
My DD is 10 and most days I still walk her to the bus stop. Sometimes she goes by herself, when her sister has a morning therapy session.q
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 7:11 AM
My DD is 8. I let her go to the bus stop alone, and if she misses the bus because she isnt getting ready, she will be walking. However, our housing neighborhood (u know, those little neighborhoods where all the houses are built alike) is actually over by the school. U go out if the neighborhood, next road down is the rd/long driveway to the school. She is capable of walking that
mcginnisc
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 7:16 AM

I have to drive mine... we live 3 miles from the school and since the girls would have to walk on a very busy street with no sidewalks and on an interstate overpass, I drive them. There is no bus as it is private school, soooo... I will continue to take them until they can drive...a long time from now. LOL

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

lisajo76
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 7:23 AM
I couldn't do that. I'd be hysterical. My oldest is 12 and just leaving her at a friend's house is difficult. I would never let any of them walk alone to school yet. I'd say 16 is maybe old enough.
mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 7:46 AM
That isn't an option here. We live in the country! LOL. I will be driving them for the next 10yrs... Till my oldest can drive!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
the3Rs
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 7:53 AM

walking was 10.

calsmom62
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 7:55 AM
When our older kids were younger we lived in a smaller suburb and the kids walked back and forth . Then we moved to a bigger suburb,and in element. They had a bus. Middle school they can walk or get a bus. As long as they know the route and they aren't walking through dangerous areas(heavy traffc, crime, etc, ) and can be trusted somewhat to go in a straight line from school to home , I d let them walk by kindergarten.
AleaKat
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 7:56 AM
2 moms liked this
Kindergarten. Lol
He has been riding the bus since the first day of school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I will let you know when it happens LOL ans I have two in HS school is not within walking distance they take school bus.

Our school system doesn't allow children to walk to or from school till 7th grade. Till then they have to be bussed or driven and signed in by a parent.  Even if parent pick up you have to go into school, show ID and sign out your child.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN