Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

bedwetting and sleepovers

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:01 PM
  • 42 Replies

I posted this in another group too, but I think this one gets more traffic - hopefully that's ok.

Has anyone dealt with bedwetting and sleepovers?  Specifically at other people's houses - we've managed pretty well at our house.  The complicating issue is that goodnites leak, so she wears diapers, and can't get them on herself.  DD is 8.

When we've hosted sleepovers we pre-tape a couple diapers so she can just pull one up in the bathroom.  I then distract her friend while she has DH adjust and tighten it (if she just pulls it up it's likely to leak - we've tried).  With baggy PJ pants and a long t-shirt it's not noticeable at all.  I wake her up early so she can clean up before the friend wakes up.

I think that if she is going to go on a sleepover at a friend's house, I should tell the parents.  What would you think if you were asked a child over for a sleepover, and the parents called you to tell them that bedwetting was still a problem?  Would you even be willing to have them spend the night?  Would you be willing to keep that from your child, and help them be discreet about (i.e. making sure they had some privacy in the bathroom to put a diaper/pull-up on, and maybe waking her up first in the morning)?  And would you be willing to help adjust the diaper by tightening the tapes (but not actually put it on - DD would be mortified at the thought of someone other than her parents diapering her, and probably wouldn't even like this, but I'm not sure what else to do).  Hopefully the help wouldn't be necessary - I'm trying to find her some wool pants to use as a diaper cover over the goodnites to absorb any leaks, but finding them in her size is a little difficult.

Emma

by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
belindah
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this

My uncle had a foster child that wet bed every night, he took him to see a counselor, the counselor gave him the some great advice, in fact our whole family uses it.  He told us about magic crackers.  they are graham crackers with sugar and cinnamom sprinkled on them.  we give them to the child an hour before bed time, the crackers help absord any fluids in the stomach, we stop liquids about 630 or 7 pm at night.  try it for a couple nights see if it helps, this way you just have to tell the other parents about magic crackers

minimo77
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:42 PM

By age 8 I would be looking into how to stop it. I wouldnt have her go over to others houses, having the other parents know would be embarassing! Have you tried adult diapers?

atm1979
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:50 PM
My 7 yo also wets the bed I use pull ups...I've asked the doctor about our and he said there is nothing that can be done...it's something they must grow out of.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kristen.Marie
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:54 PM
It doesn't seem like a good idea to let her spend the night at a friends house if she can't get the diaper on by herself. Maybe once she can diaper herself (or the problem is solved so she doesnt need diapers) then she could sleep over somewhere
Lslk
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 2:03 PM

I think bed wetting is something that they grow out of. My twin sister didn't stop wetting the bed till she was 12. I have a SS who is almost 11 and he still wets the bed. We have done everything with no help from his Mom. It does help to have the child stop drinking 2 hours before bed and to set an alarm clock for the middle of the night so they can wake up and go potty. My SS never wants to have a sleep over because he is too embarrassed so we have never had to deal with that issue. Good luck!

rsrangel
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Honestly I think if another parent asked me to help out their child with this issue, and to be secretive to try to hide this issue so that my child won't find out, it would just seem a little uncomfortable.  I just think it's asking to much and embarrassing for your child.  Now, if it was a family member or even a close friend of mine, then that might be different.  If your child can manage to get the diaper on/off herself, and is ok if her friend accidental finds our her secret, then it shouldn't be a problem.  We had a friend whose daughter wet her bed until about 10/11 years old.  It was a medical issue.  My son is almost 7 and he still has to wear a diaper.  The doctor doesn't seem concerned.  But personally I don't think I'd let him sleep at anyones house except family.  Couldn't you just put together a fun girls night for them where the friend (or your daughter) could go home afterwards?  That would be a great way to let your daughter have fun and avoid any embarrassment. 

sewingmama88
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 2:13 PM
My 10 year old wets the bed and i had to take him to a specal dr and they gave him bed wetting meds and told me to give him miralax to help him go poop bc it was pushing on his bladder and thats why he was wetting the bed. I wouldnt let her do a sleep over bc thays going to make her be embarrasses.
eb415
by Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Thanks for the replies.  The doctor's not too concerned yet because she's never been dry at night.  If she started wetting the bed after being dry we'd be a lot more concerned.

We've tried an alarm.  It woke up everyone in the house except her.  We also tried waking her up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom.  That just made everyone tired and grumpy the next day, and most of the time she was still wet.

She's only 50lbs, so I doubt an adult diaper would fit - the L/XL goodnites are too big on her, and the S/M leak consistantly, so she wears pampers size 7.

eb415
by Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 2:30 PM

This is a good idea - I wish I had thought of something like this.  We'll try this and see if it works.

Quoting belindah:

My uncle had a foster child that wet bed every night, he took him to see a counselor, the counselor gave him the some great advice, in fact our whole family uses it.  He told us about magic crackers.  they are graham crackers with sugar and cinnamom sprinkled on them.  we give them to the child an hour before bed time, the crackers help absord any fluids in the stomach, we stop liquids about 630 or 7 pm at night.  try it for a couple nights see if it helps, this way you just have to tell the other parents about magic crackers

eb415
by Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 2:39 PM

We can have sleepovers at our house without any problems, but I feel bad that she has to turn down sleepover invitations at her friend's houses - they're becoming popular this year, it seems.  She says that I won't let her spend the night elsewhere, but that's just an excuse that I'm happy to back her up on.

If she could manage diapers/pull-ups on her own, but you were asked to keep it from your child, would you still feel uncomfortable?  I realize that someone could accidently discover the diapers/pull-ups, but the goal would be for that not to happen.  We would want the other parents to know about them in case of accidental discovery, however.  It still wouldn't be pleasant, but if a friend found out I'd much rather have the other parents aware of the situation so they're at least somewhat prepared and not completely surprised by it.  Does that make sense?

Emma

Quoting rsrangel:

Honestly I think if another parent asked me to help out their child with this issue, and to be secretive to try to hide this issue so that my child won't find out, it would just seem a little uncomfortable.  I just think it's asking to much and embarrassing for your child.  Now, if it was a family member or even a close friend of mine, then that might be different.  If your child can manage to get the diaper on/off herself, and is ok if her friend accidental finds our her secret, then it shouldn't be a problem.  We had a friend whose daughter wet her bed until about 10/11 years old.  It was a medical issue.  My son is almost 7 and he still has to wear a diaper.  The doctor doesn't seem concerned.  But personally I don't think I'd let him sleep at anyones house except family.  Couldn't you just put together a fun girls night for them where the friend (or your daughter) could go home afterwards?  That would be a great way to let your daughter have fun and avoid any embarrassment. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)