Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Hitting something harmless?

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:27 PM
  • 28 Replies
My Kindergartener came home with a coloring page today- he said it was done in guidence. It was about controlling anger. There were three sentences on the page. One was "... Hit something harmless or use our special hand trick." After talking to him, I found out the special hand trick is raising his clenched fist and shaking it!!!! Does anyone else have an issue with this??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mckinneymom918
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Um yes! The next second ends in a punch!
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:32 PM

I would talk to the teacher about it.  I picture an older person shaking their fist at "those darn kids" LOL.

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:33 PM
I've told my kids that if they're really angry, it's okay to get their anger out by punching their pillow. I'd rather they do that than bottle up their feelings until they explode.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gma12.1
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:37 PM

That is not an appropiate thing to teach a child. What is "hitting something harmless"? Does it mean hit a pillow if you are really that angry or does it mean hit a puppy? All my kids were taught to keep their hands to themselves but if they got really angry and really had to hit something they could hit a pillow, a tree, a wall, but NEVER another person. They were never to raise their fists like that and shake them. Besides if a child does that to another child the first kid is going to get hit by the 2nd kid because it looks like the kid wants to fight.  I would be very upset if my kid brought that home.

MommyChance
by Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:41 PM
I've had several issues with the school this year. I don't want to overreact because Im already frustrated. I was mad when I read it. I told my son that the paper is wrong. That we don't hit ANYTHING, ever, that we also don't clench and shake our fist. We've done the deep breath and count backwards thing for a while, so I just showed him that again. I just know that before the end of the year he's going to get in trouble for hitting something he thought was harmless because the teacher said it was okay... Ugh *smh*
MommyChance
by Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:51 PM
He used a wall as an example of something to hit. I don't think thats good at all. We have used the deep breath in, exhale while counting backwards from 10. Sounds silly, but it works for him. I don't like hitting things. I was in an abusive relationship, at times he would hit the wall and put holes in it. I HATE they are teaching my son it's okay to do that!

Quoting gma12.1:

That is not an appropiate thing to teach a child. What is "hitting something harmless"? Does it mean hit a pillow if you are really that angry or does it mean hit a puppy? All my kids were taught to keep their hands to themselves but if they got really angry and really had to hit something they could hit a pillow, a tree, a wall, but NEVER another person. They were never to raise their fists like that and shake them. Besides if a child does that to another child the first kid is going to get hit by the 2nd kid because it looks like the kid wants to fight.  I would be very upset if my kid brought that home.

Precious333
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:52 PM
Agreed. My first grader is a passionate boy, and sensitive. He gets worked up veryveasily and we are working on self control and dealing woth frustration and anger. I allow him to yell.in a pillow, punch a pillow, he has learned to walk away into a private place until he cools off, we even practice breathinf slowly. I find these all helpful ways of.copinf and has saved him manytime from punching his brothers.

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

I've told my kids that if they're really angry, it's okay to get their anger out by punching their pillow. I'd rather they do that than bottle up their feelings until they explode.

MommyChance
by Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:55 PM
I've taught my son to inhale, exhale and count backwards from ten, then we talk about what made him mad. It's been working for a year, he hardly ever has to count anymore, he just takes a deep breath, walks away from what made him mad and talks to me about it.
He said they used a wall as an example.

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:26 AM
Bad example. I punched a wall once (by accident) and almost broke my hand!

If they're in a place where hitting something isn't appropriate, I've taught my girls to close their eyes and sing their favorite song in their head. It usually works. But if they're at home, I don't see the harm in pillow punching.

Quoting MommyChance:

I've taught my son to inhale, exhale and count backwards from ten, then we talk about what made him mad. It's been working for a year, he hardly ever has to count anymore, he just takes a deep breath, walks away from what made him mad and talks to me about it.

He said they used a wall as an example.

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 2:19 AM

We have done the deep breathing exercises as well for calming emotions down.   Punching a wall can cause self injury so i wonder how up to date these papers  are for school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN