Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Would you request a transfer?

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 2:11 AM
  • 33 Replies
I was recently transferred to Sacramento for work. My son is in kindergarten and I enrolled him in our neighborhood school, which is rated a 7 out of 10. When I enrolled him, the guy at the district office told me there was no guarantee that he would stay at the school I requested, it depends on if they are full or not. So after I got the paper work done I went to the school and they told me they were full, so he would start there but they would have to find him another school. He just started there yesterday and today the school called to tell me he starts at a different school on Monday. My issue is that the school they assigned him to is only rated a 3 out of 10. However there is an after school program there that is free and they have tutoring, homework help, activities etc. I would only have to find very part time daycare because he would be at the program until 5 and I get off work at 5, so I would need someone to pick him up and keep him for 30-45 minutes a day, which would save a ton of money in daycare costs. Also this school starts at 8,with breakfast at 730 where his other school starts at 9. I am just wondering if you would over look the lower rating since there are more pros than cons?
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 2:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 2:15 AM
4 moms liked this
Knowing how bad California schools are failing I would go check out the school first keeping the score in mind. I would not allow my child to attend a bad school for cost or simplicity. Parts of Sacramento (I'm about 2 hours away) are very scary so I would be picky about schools.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 2:15 AM

I really do not know truthfully what i would do.   I would take a tour of the other school before i would allow transferance just to see how it is run.  What was the rating based on?  Our school is on the lower end due to state test scores but within recent years they started a full day kindergarten so hopefully the scores will rise as those students enter the testing grades.   We love the community feeling the school has and how everyone knows everyone practically for the staff and students.

loveeeyore
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 2:17 AM

I would check online for anything people are saying about the school. Maybe they have a facebook page our school does as does the pta. Some even have groups here on cafemom. Find out what you can and go with your gut. Sometimes ratings don`t do schools justice. That is alot of changes for a little guy.

Colettelove you sign

TroyboysMom
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 2:42 AM
4 moms liked this

I would go check out the school before I would make any hard and fast decisions. I've seen schools rated 10/10 that are, in reality, terrible. I would never send my child, or any child I know, to those schools, they were so bad. I had also seen schools with lower ratings actually turn out to be really wonderful schools, just with higher comparative EL populations, or other contributing factors that don't affect the quality of education in the ways one might expect.

ashboot
by Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 4:18 AM
1 mom liked this
Exactly this...

Quoting TroyboysMom:

I would go check out the school before I would make any hard and fast decisions. I've seen schools rated 10/10 that are, in reality, terrible. I would never send my child, or any child I know, to those schools, they were so bad. I had also seen schools with lower ratings actually turn out to be really wonderful schools, just with higher comparative EL populations, or other contributing factors that don't affect the quality of education in the ways one might expect.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jamie1972
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 4:23 AM

if you can get yiur ds in the school u a mm want next yr, for now i would overlook the bad rating school for now. most of the afterschool programs in sac  go til 6 but if its one that ends at 5  and u explain ur situation they will work with u. what school is he attending in sac?

Fields456
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 4:28 AM
I have no IDea. Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:16 AM
They said he is transferring on Monday. It doesn't sound like you get a choice.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SaraBethKY
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Definitely give the school a chance. Especially with the after school activities it offers. The school I worked at was rated very low in it's first few years but then began to grow in academics tremendously. It took a while for the rating to go up even though it is one of the top schools in the area.

othermom
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 9:42 AM

I would check out the school first.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN