Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for struggling Kindergartener?!?!

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 9:23 AM
  • 13 Replies
Hello ladies! I have a 6 year old that's in Kindergarten. He is having a hard time focussing during classtime. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get my child more focused on his tasks? He's on the verge of doing Kindergarten over again next year. I realy could use some help. I am struggling with this.
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
othermom
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 9:46 AM
I am not sure. I have never had much of an issue with this. Is he struggling with the work at all? Good luck
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 9:50 AM
Is he struggling with learning or just paying attention and sitting still?

If he's having a problem with sitting still, ask the teacher to place a strip of fuzzy velcro under his desk...when he needs stimulation, instead of distracting the class, he can run his fingers along the velcro instead. It helped DS a lot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 9:50 AM

I would need some more information before I respond.  First, is he easily distracted at home?  Does he play a lot of video games/watch tv?  Does he play sports?  What is his reading comprehension like?  etc.

zoniechick
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Same here. Has then been an on going problem through out the year, or just recently?, Did he attend pre-school? Siblings?

Quoting mjande4:

I would need some more information before I respond.  First, is he easily distracted at home?  Does he play a lot of video games/watch tv?  Does he play sports?  What is his reading comprehension like?  etc.

am12
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Quoting mjande4:

He isn't distracted as easily at home as he is in school. He worries more about what's going on around him at school. I think it's because there's more going on at school than at home. He doesn't have any siblings. He doesn't play team sports but is an outdoors kid. He watches tv but not many video games. He can't read yet. He has a speech problem and has a hard time with the letter sounds, but improving with them. We are working with him at home and he's getting extra help with it at school. He went to Pre-School. Did ok there.
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 2:46 PM

I would ask the teacher what more i could do at home to help him.   My dd is in first grade and can get easily distracted..  Her teacher has implemented a sticker chart for positive reinforcement.  If she sits at her seat for 20 minutes reading and 20 minutes writing she earns a sticker for that day.  5 stickers means she gets an extra music class.   DD loves music  and the teacher thinks it is cute that out of everything dd would like more music as her reward.

Bluecalm
by Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 3:36 PM
What is he working on in school? Is he able to do it or is it a struggle?
KristenFowles
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 3:39 PM
We really struggled with our kindergartner too. The school gave him an aid who works one on one with him daily, it's made all the difference in the word and now we are right on track.

Have you talked to his teacher(s) to see if there is any extra help available?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 6:27 PM

My first recommendation would be to get him in a couple of extra curriculars/sports where he is surrounded by OTHER kids. Because he is an only child he hasn't learned how to tune others out and concentrate. I would invest in the Leapfrog program if he's having difficulties with letters and sounds. Keep working and then in a couple of months reevaluate.  Good luck!

Quoting am12:

Quoting mjande4:

He isn't distracted as easily at home as he is in school. He worries more about what's going on around him at school. I think it's because there's more going on at school than at home. He doesn't have any siblings. He doesn't play team sports but is an outdoors kid. He watches tv but not many video games. He can't read yet. He has a speech problem and has a hard time with the letter sounds, but improving with them. We are working with him at home and he's getting extra help with it at school. He went to Pre-School. Did ok there.

dawncs
by Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Has his seat moved recently? He could be having trouble reading the blackboard in the classroom. I recommend maybe having his eyes checked for a vision problem and needing glasses. For helping him learn, there is some software out there geared toward kindergarten and first grade learning. You might want to try it. Another approach is maybe getting him a Leap Pad because it can help him learn while it is a fun learning tool.

Dawn

Group owner of Different Learners Support Group (http://www.cafemom.com/group/118648)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)