Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Is your kid a natural leader or just plain bossy?

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 6:45 AM
  • 12 Replies

I was having this discussion with both of my girls yesterday.  One is in 6th grade and the other is in 4th grade.  DD2 is a natural leader.  She has great reasoning skills, articulates clearly, easy-going, is empathetic to those around her.  Everyone respects her, even when they differ in opinions.  Her current teacher is always raving how she is a natural cheerleader.  She is always bringing others up, always looking at the bright side of things.

We have deemed DD1 bossy.  She doesn't respect people's opinions when there is a disagreement.  She argues to the point of needing to win.  She is quick to blame others instead of looking for solutions.  She gets emotional and lately is using bad words.  DD2 said, "I want the old Em back."  Not sure if this is due to hormone changes or what.  But we are making sure she is self-reflecting.

How about you?  What are your kids like?

by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 6:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:59 AM

My oldest isn't a leader or bossy right now. He is more go with the flow and let other people lead. But he's only 5. We will see what happens as he gets older. The 2 year old seems pretty bossy to me, but I think most two year olds do. LOL

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:17 AM

My oldest is a quiet leader.  She doesn't command that people follow, but she is respected and so they do.  My middle one is referred to in jest by the principal, my husband, and I, as the "politician".  He just has it going on and is a natural born leader.  He is a good athlete, intelligent, and an all round nice kid, so others follow.  My youngest is very quiet and reserved.  He is a combination of both of my older two, but is neither a leader or a follower.

bizkit_fanky
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Dd tries to be a leader

gonecrazi
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Ds1 is easy going but not a leader

DD is a leader, she is a single mom in the Navy

Ds 2 is bossy

Ds 3 is a very good boy, but nothing lke his brothers.

littleangie
by Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:01 PM

My son is a natural leader an can be very diplomatic.  As for my daughter, we need to work on the bossiness. 

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:11 PM
DD is bossy, I think, but everyone wants to be her friend, have playdates, etc so maybe she's more leader than I think. DS is bossy but he's the oldest, some of that goes with the territory. I'm the oldest, my brother will tell you I'm bossy. =)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:11 PM
My oldest i think is a natural.leader that needs pruning lol. He is helpful, sympathetic, a great listener, but he can have a temper. He is a lot like my dh, and some parts like me too. My dh is definitelt a born leader!

My middle is more creative, but he is also a team player and not bossy at all. He does like to do his own thing though.

I do not consider myself a natural.leader, but i have beeb put into the position more and more, something that i will grow in. I am the oldest, but not bossy at all, and usually let others take the lead, but if no one steps up i am willing. I also am a pretty good listener (too good.sometimes, some people just love to vent to me! Lol)
br />

My youngest is too young to tell.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:33 PM

My dd is a natural leader but can sometimes trend towards being considered bossy. DS is a pretty laid back go with the flow kid most of the time but he can also get bossy when he's in a mood. 

belindah
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 1:48 PM

My oldest is bossy, its her way or the high way.  We also have her sefl reflecting because she use to be such a giver and has a big heart.  My middle child is a leader with out trying to be, kids flock to him and they follow, and my youngest is a loner.  She would rather be by herself then with her peers.  She does have friends and she just follows them.

BuckeyezRule
by Laura on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Dd, our 'baby' is an outgoing leader. Everyone in her class, the past few years, different kids, even others from same grade, different class, seem to follow her lead. She's also really tall, and I lunch with her at least once every 2 weeks. :) ds is more quiet at school, though, he never quits talking at home. Lol dd can be bossy. Ds is bossy with dd. she's 12 1/2 mos younger. Lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)