Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What would you do? **Edit In Red**

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:02 PM
  • 99 Replies
1 mom liked this

So DD's teacher (she's in kindergarten) is always sending home letters in her notebook, saying that she isn't doing well in class and isn't understanding adding and reading/spelling, doesn't pay attention and can't seem to focus well. What I do not understand is that when at home and we are working on her spelling/reading and math she does EXCELLENT. When doing her homework I only have to read instructions once and then shes able to do it all on her own from there without making mistakes. Even her report card says she's doing great. I just don't understand? How is it possible that shes doing so bad yet getting good grades and remarks on her report cards and homework? Am I missing something? 

Edit**

Dh and I will be going to the school tomorrow for a conference with the teacher and principal. Hopefully we can figure out whats going on and work something out.

by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:04 PM
Is this her first year in a calssroom setting?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like you need to have a conference with the teacher.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Cindy18
by Cruella on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:05 PM
2 moms liked this

Sounds like she is distracted by the other kids and things going on around her.

At home, it's just you and her. No distractions.

BrittVan
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:08 PM

In a public school yes, but she attended Sunday school.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

BrittVan
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Thats what they were trying to say but if that were the case wouldnt she be doing much worse with her spelling and all that? Yes we do do work at home but she comes home knowing it already. So really all Im doing is supervising so to say to see how she does. & at home she has a 4 yr old brother and a 7 month old brother so there can be distractions here too.

Before she went to school we had taught her how to spell her full name, count to 100, how to write out numbers 1-20 and her abc's.

But as far as spelling other words, adding, and starting to read thats mostly what she has learned in school. It just doesnt add up.

Quoting Cindy18:

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:14 PM
She's probably still adjusting to being in a class with other kids and tuning out their distractions and sharing the teacher's attention. It's easier to focus at home than in school. I would talk to the teacher and find out exactly what types of focus issues she's having. Maybe she needs to sits separated from others, maybe she needs a reward chart to stay on task. I speak from experience when I say it's fixable, you and the teacher just need to be on the same page.

Quoting BrittVan:

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cindy18
by Cruella on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:17 PM

She is use to the siblings. So they aren't so much of a distraction as you would think.

Sounds to me like you have a very smart little girl there, that probably won't need to study much through out her school carrer to make good grades. That's a good thing.... Just let her know that she needs to be respectful to all the others in the class and behave.

Quoting BrittVan:

Thats what they were trying to say but if that were the case wouldnt she be doing much worse with her spelling and all that? Yes we do do work at home but she comes home knowing it already. So really all Im doing is supervising so to say to see how she does. & at home she has a 4 yr old brother and a 7 month old brother so there can be distractions here too.

Before she went to school we had taught her how to spell her full name, count to 100, how to write out numbers 1-20 and her abc's.

But as far as spelling other words, adding, and starting to read thats mostly what she has learned in school. It just doesnt add up.

Quoting Cindy18:

BrittVan
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Her teacher is intimidating to me. Is that stupid? I wanted to do that but Dh is out of state for the next week or so and Id prefer he went with me. I have spoke with her on the phone before but she didnt seem interested in everything I had to say and more kept telling me how hyper and unfocused she is. But I dont see what she sees, as Brooke doesnt do the things the teacher says she does, at home.

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

BrittVan
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:20 PM

The teacher did say she works better independently than in a group but she made it seem like thats a bad thing? 

Quoting coolmommy2x:

She's probably still adjusting to being in a class with other kids and tuning out their distractions and sharing the teacher's attention. It's easier to focus at home than in school. I would talk to the teacher and find out exactly what types of focus issues she's having. Maybe she needs to sits separated from others, maybe she needs a reward chart to stay on task. I speak from experience when I say it's fixable, you and the teacher just need to be on the same page.

Quoting BrittVan:

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Cindy18
by Cruella on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:21 PM
1 mom liked this

It's not stupid but it is something you are going to have to get over for the best interest of your child.

You are an adult and so is the teacher, try approaching it like this "I think it would be in Brooke's best interest if we could meet and you coud help me with some stratigies so that I can help Brooke be more attentive in your class." that way you can get a conference with her on the idea that she is helping you.

Quoting BrittVan:

Her teacher is intimidating to me. Is that stupid? I wanted to do that but Dh is out of state for the next week or so and Id prefer he went with me. I have spoke with her on the phone before but she didnt seem interested in everything I had to say and more kept telling me how hyper and unfocused she is. But I dont see what she sees, as Brooke doesnt do the things the teacher says she does, at home.

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN