Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Camping for the first time!!

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 6:52 PM
  • 10 Replies

Ok, so in about 3 weeks, we're going camping for the first time ever. In a tent. It's with my son's cub scouts den. I'm not an outdoorsy person at all, but my son is soooo looking forward to this so I'm going into this with a positive attitude. Or at least try....lol! It's going to be for 2 nights in early April and my biggest concern is the weather being too cold at night. I have a 7 year old and a 3 year old. What are some camping tips or things that you ladies think I should get before we go. 

by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 6:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JZB
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 6:57 PM
Prepare to dress in layers easy to as needed, also mats/cots if possible to stay off the ground will keep you warmer. Good sleeping bags will do wonders also.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ddhb2007
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:09 PM
Quoting JZB:

Prepare to dress in layers easy to as needed, also mats/cots if possible to stay off the ground will keep you warmer. Good sleeping bags will do wonders also.

These are good tips. Bring bug repellant and waterproof jackets too in case it rains. A couple of the flashlights that go on the head are handy too, so your hands are free.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:09 PM
Your unit should have a packing list...use it!

Plan ahead. Have a few card/ board games in case the weather doesn't cooperate.

PP is correct..mats or blankets under where you sleep are great. I would NOT go out and buy "good" (expensive) sleeping bags with little kids. If you put a pad under you increase temp 10-15 degrees. Putting a fleece blanket or liner in a bag adds another 10-15 degrees.

Don't but a HUGE 6-8 person tent. Get a 4 man at most. The bigger the tent, the harder it is to warm with body heat.

You are "car camping" so you can pack extra vs trying to save weight and skip something important.
mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 5:59 PM
2 moms liked this

Bring extra blankets! If it gets cold, you can throw on a blanket. Make sure you use a pad on the ground, which gets really cold too. Or if you are camping somewhere where there are mattresses, bring a sheet to cover the mattress, or mattress pad.

If you are where the temp goes below 60, make sure the sleeping bag is rated for at least 30 degrees. The cutesy character kind are fine for an indoor sleepover, but outdoor camping might not be warm enough. And have hats and gloves etc in case heads and hands get cold. I slept in 52 degree temps and I was freezing and only warmed up after I put on a layer of sweatpants, fleece hoodie, hat, mittens, socks and extra blanket, even though I was wearing clean dry fleece pjs. I hardly slept a wink.

Change into fresh dry clothes, including underwear, before you go to sleep. The clothes you were during the day absorb moisture throughout the day and will make you colder if you sleep in them.

bring a good bright flashlight and roll or two of tp, just in case there isnt any in the latrine.

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Is the scout troop providing anything, like use of pie irons, or food for the group? A lot would depend on that.

balls and frisbees are always good.

natesmom1228
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 6:25 PM
You are allowed to bring the 3 year old? Siblings were not allowed to go on campouts with our pack, we also didn't camp in tents. You don't do that until boy scouts. Anyway, dress warm for the evenings.
pixie-buttercup
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 7:38 PM

They encourage the entire family to attend almost all of the events/trips. My husband is the den leader.

Quoting natesmom1228:

You are allowed to bring the 3 year old? Siblings were not allowed to go on campouts with our pack, we also didn't camp in tents. You don't do that until boy scouts. Anyway, dress warm for the evenings.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Bring extra blankets and bring plenty of layers so you can add/take away as needed.

Have fun!

calsmom62
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Good sleeping mats. A cheap foil reflective blanket btw your bag and mat is helpful. headlamps, glowstix to hang in the tent at night. Baby wipes. Change all your clothes at night before bed, even your sox. jetboil stove and coffeepress. Cotton is rotten...wicking clothes layered with fleece, etc is much better. Under armour type sweatshirt is comfy. Those 99 cent gloves are nice for sleeping. bring a tree or nature identification book or card set from the scout store for a nature hike. Bring things for a scavenger hunt, bring your .own marshmallow/ hotdog forks/ sticks . Are you car camping or hiking in? A wagon that can be pulled along a trail can make it easier to haul gear . Have fun, we camp with our cubs often. It helps keep their interest in scouting alive.
calsmom62
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:25 PM
I crawled into my car one night when it dipped into the 30s unexpectedly and the ground under our tent was damp. The kids were fine, sleeping four to a tent.

Quoting mom22tumblebugs:

Bring extra blankets! If it gets cold, you can throw on a blanket. Make sure you use a pad on the ground, which gets really cold too. Or if you are camping somewhere where there are mattresses, bring a sheet to cover the mattress, or mattress pad.

If you are where the temp goes below 60, make sure the sleeping bag is rated for at least 30 degrees. The cutesy character kind are fine for an indoor sleepover, but outdoor camping might not be warm enough. And have hats and gloves etc in case heads and hands get cold. I slept in 52 degree temps and I was freezing and only warmed up after I put on a layer of sweatpants, fleece hoodie, hat, mittens, socks and extra blanket, even though I was wearing clean dry fleece pjs. I hardly slept a wink.

Change into fresh dry clothes, including underwear, before you go to sleep. The clothes you were during the day absorb moisture throughout the day and will make you colder if you sleep in them.

bring a good bright flashlight and roll or two of tp, just in case there isnt any in the latrine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN