Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Are you a reader?

What is the biggest, longest, hardest book you have ever read? Do you like it?

~~Cindy

by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 6:44 AM
Replies (21-30):
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Thanks! I think I'm going to need it. I would usually get something like that from the library, but we only get 1 renewal and I know I'd take longer than 6 wks to get through it. The download I got was a free one, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

Quoting annelauer:

I find reading books on a computer screen way harder! And I think I retain less of what was read. Good luck!

Quoting wakymom:

Longest? Not sure; probably the longer Harry Potter books

Hardest? I'm working my way through an abridged version of Les Miserables on my Kindle for PC. Not sure if it's hard b/c it's hard, b/c it's on my laptop, or both.

Actually, the hardest thing for me to get through wasn't a novel, it was a short story- Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. Hated that one, but had to finish it b/c it was for a class.

SahmTam
by Tammy on Mar. 19, 2013 at 2:08 PM

I am a reader. The biggest, longest, hardest book I've ever read was the Bible. I do like it, but sure can't claim to understand it all! lol

FarmMom383
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:52 PM

i love to read, i have my own library in the basement.  I am not sure what book would have been my longest and hardest though i have quiet a few.

steelcage
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 4:07 PM

I used to enjoy reading, but I no longer have the time and am just too tired to do so. I tried reading Harry Potter for the first time a few months ago. Never got to finish the first book before having to give it back to who I borrowed it from.

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Mar. 19, 2013 at 6:10 PM

I haven't found a book that gave me that sort of challenge. I love to read, so it's never hard for me to do so with ANY book.

Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 7:18 PM

That's a hard one.  I LOVE to read but haven't had much time to do it lately.  The hardest book was probably something in high school that we had to read.  There's a huge distinction from having to read something and getting to read something!

TroyboysMom
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:00 PM

I love to read - love it! I don't know the longest book I've ever read...I've read the Outlander series (and many other series, too.). 

As for "difficult," difficult as in complicated, or difficult as in hard to get through? To be honest, The George R.R. Martin series that the show A Game of Thrones is based on was the hardest for me to get through. Each chapter was a different character, and it was really hard to get through while remembering the details. He also just doesn't write in a style I can really appreciate. It feels like he's wrestling with the words too much. 

Cindy18
by Cruella on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:44 PM

I love to read. The hardest books for me to get through have been The Girl With The Dragon Tatoo series. I really like the story but there is so much detail that is not needed.

Larisa72
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:04 PM

yes...I habitually read Gone With the Wind and Scarlett....neither of which are light reads...lol

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:20 AM
1 mom liked this
I love to read. I've read such a variety but I struggled through love in the time of cholera.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)