Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Calling all teachers! Or parents of athletes

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:34 PM
  • 26 Replies

My DD is a gymnast. She trains 15 hours a week. This was not an issue this year as she is only in 1st grade, so homework was minimal at best. Next year though is a BIG jump in homework. 2nd grade was an adjustment for my older two and they are stellar students. Once she gets to 6th grade (assuming she is still active in gymnastics at that point) the middle school will work with me on her schedule to make sure that her study hall is at the end of the day followed by PE so that she can leave school early, since her massive amount of gym time can be used for her PE credits.

I'm curious to know if you as a teacher are willing to work with homework schedules or if you as parents have found that teachers are pretty accommodating. I am not asking for her to be able to turn in work late, I would NEVER do that. But I am considering asking her teacher next year if she would be willing to give DD all of her homework each Friday for the next week instead of nightly. That way she can work on it over the weekend while she isn't training. Of course there will be some things we will still have to do nightly like spelling words, reading for 30 minutes, etc. I'm just talking the vocab worksheets, spelling packets, math sheets, etc. 

Of course if the teacher won't then we will have to make it work, I'm just nervous about even asking. 

by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
M4LG5
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm a mother of athletes (I also coach them).  I have three girls....9 and 6 year old twins.  I think you can ask but I wouldn't expect any accommodations (if they do...great!).  I think that if she is going to continue, she will need to figure out time management.  Since we have two teams, we are on the softball field 4-5 days a week at about 2 hours per practice/game.  It's gets really busy for us but we have them do their homework (as much as they can) at the afterschool program and then we finish the rest after dinner.  What that means to them is that they are sacrificing time to watch TV or play games BUT we remind them that they are choosing to play sports. 

corrinacs
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 1:03 PM

It depends on how the teacher assigns homework.  It would be nice to have it ahead of time, sure.  But sometimes the teacher may not have gone over the work yet so she may not understand the homework the weekend prior.  But a teacher has never complained that a student already knew material before she taught it, so perhaps going over her homework with her earlier wouldn't be a problem.

THe only thing is that I hear they do math totally different than we did!!  I don't know if I will be able to help my son with any of it, if his school distrtict has adopted these new methods.  I hear that they are "easier" but I know my way of doing it....thier's makes no sense to me (but I've only seen pictures of it).....don't know what to say about htat LOL

mommasaint
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Your right, she is definitely going to have to learn time management! Once she gets older and can do homework more independently, I'm hoping that in some ways it will be easier. Right now she does her sentences that she has to write on the bus after school on the way to the gym, which helps. She's there from directly after school till 7:15. 

Quoting M4LG5:

I'm a mother of athletes (I also coach them).  I have three girls....9 and 6 year old twins.  I think you can ask but I wouldn't expect any accommodations (if they do...great!).  I think that if she is going to continue, she will need to figure out time management.  Since we have two teams, we are on the softball field 4-5 days a week at about 2 hours per practice/game.  It's gets really busy for us but we have them do their homework (as much as they can) at the afterschool program and then we finish the rest after dinner.  What that means to them is that they are sacrificing time to watch TV or play games BUT we remind them that they are choosing to play sports. 

mommasaint
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 1:31 PM

There is some truth to the math! Thankfully, I have already had 2 kids through 2nd grade in our district so that makes things a little easier :) My oldest however I sometimes really struggle to help when he needs it. Thankfully those times are few and far between LOL. 

Quoting corrinacs:

It depends on how the teacher assigns homework.  It would be nice to have it ahead of time, sure.  But sometimes the teacher may not have gone over the work yet so she may not understand the homework the weekend prior.  But a teacher has never complained that a student already knew material before she taught it, so perhaps going over her homework with her earlier wouldn't be a problem.

THe only thing is that I hear they do math totally different than we did!!  I don't know if I will be able to help my son with any of it, if his school distrtict has adopted these new methods.  I hear that they are "easier" but I know my way of doing it....thier's makes no sense to me (but I've only seen pictures of it).....don't know what to say about htat LOL

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 1:59 PM
2 moms liked this
If I had a serious athlete, I would look into a charter school or homeschool option.

It isn't fair, IMO,to expect the school to accommodate your child's special schedule.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 19, 2013 at 2:07 PM
2 moms liked this

I have a hockey kid, and so his season lands right in the middle of the school year. It only takes out about 2 to 2.5 hours of his evening though, and he's on the ice about 5-7 days a week. It could be longer than 2.5 hours if there is a game that we have to travel far to, but we know about those far in advance and plan around that.

So basically he just uses time management and schedules homework around his sport schedule. He's still an A/B student, and he takes all advanced classes in 7th grade. We have never had to ask for special accommodations from his teachers. Big assignments have always been given in advance, and my son has always been good about using extra classroom time and bus time to complete assignments.

I do agree with Jinx's suggestion of looking at alternatives. Maybe an online charter school would work better for your family. There is a K-12 sports private school in our area that just opened up, and most of the tuition is used towards sports training because they use an online charter school in the afternoons in addition to having professional teachers in the 4-hour classroom setting.

annelauer
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 2:18 PM
2 moms liked this
I'd like to know about this too. Our daughter dances 20+ hours per week. Plus her studio is a drive. She goes right after school and generally isn't home until close to 9. Her teacher this year prefers that kids don't do homework on the weekends, but she said our daughter can if necessary. She competes on weekends and is in a professional ballet, so there's a lot going on those days too. We've only had to do that once. It may be sloppy, but some of her work can be done in the car. If there's a lot more work next year, things could get tricky. I hope you get a response from a teacher! And happy gym days!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
happy2bmom25
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I hope you don't overtrain your dd and create lifelong injuries.

mommasaint
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:08 PM

I know that's why I'm cautious to even ask....I am acutally attending a K-12 informational meeting tonight that the school district is putting on. I just hate to make that huge of a decision while she is so young.....she enjoys school and is a good student. My only option is that or traditional homeschooling which I'm hesitant about. Thanks for your honest reply!

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

If I had a serious athlete, I would look into a charter school or homeschool option.

It isn't fair, IMO,to expect the school to accommodate your child's special schedule.

mommasaint
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Good luck to your daughter as well! We just finished competitive season, so we are very much looking forward to some weekends at home for a change!

Quoting annelauer:

I'd like to know about this too. Our daughter dances 20+ hours per week. Plus her studio is a drive. She goes right after school and generally isn't home until close to 9. Her teacher this year prefers that kids don't do homework on the weekends, but she said our daughter can if necessary. She competes on weekends and is in a professional ballet, so there's a lot going on those days too. We've only had to do that once. It may be sloppy, but some of her work can be done in the car. If there's a lot more work next year, things could get tricky. I hope you get a response from a teacher! And happy gym days!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN