Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I just got an email from my daughters school that they will be having a Kindergarten play day april 19th. 

The afternoon is set up as follows:

1:00- 1:30 p.m.- scavenger hunt through the Elementary School in small groups
1:30- 2:00 p.m.- rotating through each of the (3) Kindergarten teachers' classrooms for story reading, craft, or
                          snack
2:00- 2:45 p.m.- divide into two groups and split time between organized games in the gym 
                          and free play time on the playground

As a "thank you" gift for attending, each child will receive a "name of school" Kindergarten Round-Up t-shirt, a cowboy hat, and a bandana. 

She will attend Kindergarten at the school starting in August. They are doing such neat little things for the upcoming Kindergarteners. They will also have Kindergarten day at the end of July/early August where the kids will meet some classmates and teachers and have a huge pizza/pool party.

I am very nervous as she is my first kid entering big kid school (she is currently in a 2 day a week Prek). At least the school is making Kindergarten seem fun and exciting for the newest members to a school setting! We definitely picked the right school! 

Did your school do anything to make your Kindergartener feel not so overwhelmed? Did they have any fun play days?

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 7:10 PM
Replies (11-20):
huskermom98
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:25 AM

That's a really great thing your school is doing--with my oldest his school did nothing...nada...zilch...and it drove me nuts because we both grew up in a different state and all of our family & friends here attend different districts in the metro area.  I have one friend who has kids that attend the same district, but a different school so I kept asking her all sorts of questions...probably drove her nuts! 

My youngest starts kindergarten this fall (sniff, sniff) and the school is finally doing something for the kindergarteners one morning a couple of weeks before school starts.  They'll get to hang out in their classroom for a little bit, but more importantly there will be an "assembly" for the parents where some of the school officials will talk about important things regarding school procedures, etc.

mommy053008
by Maria on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:28 AM

that's awesome we already had a tour of the school and she had a test in to the school day. to see what level she is on and to see if she got accepted to school (which she did!) they did a parent/questionnaire day for the rising Kindergarteners, however I could not attned as both my children were ill at the time and my husband works nights and i couldnt bare leaving them with a sitter. 

Quoting huskermom98:

That's a really great thing your school is doing--with my oldest his school did nothing...nada...zilch...and it drove me nuts because we both grew up in a different state and all of our family & friends here attend different districts in the metro area.  I have one friend who has kids that attend the same district, but a different school so I kept asking her all sorts of questions...probably drove her nuts! 

My youngest starts kindergarten this fall (sniff, sniff) and the school is finally doing something for the kindergarteners one morning a couple of weeks before school starts.  They'll get to hang out in their classroom for a little bit, but more importantly there will be an "assembly" for the parents where some of the school officials will talk about important things regarding school procedures, etc.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
jamianne
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Our school doesn't do anything that cool.

Our Pre-K has a gradual easing-in schedule: day 1 they go in for 1/2 hour with only 4 kids at a time so they can meet their teachers and a couple of their classmates.  DS teachers had them bring their favorite stuffed animal with them and they talked about them.  Day 2 is for an 1 1/2 hours with half the class (about 8 kids) at a time; day 3 is 1/2 day with the entire class.  Then Monday (we usually start on a Wednesday) they go in for their first full day.

BuckeyezRule
by Laura on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:19 AM

How fun! Great idea! On a side note, I cried when each kid started preschool, k, and 1st grade (1st time full day) . I'm emotional. Lol

Jemia
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Our school does something similar to this.

Quoting SahmTam:

Our school had a bus ride/safety day in August before they started school (we always start in September).

When school starts 1st-12th grades start on a Wednesday, but that Wednesday or Thursday (A-M goes Wed., N-Z goes Thurs.) the kindergarteners go with their parents to their classroom and get to have a play day with a few other classmates and a helper while the teacher gives an orientation to the parents. It eases them into their classroom. Then on that Friday they go for real.

They always got an intro letter over the summer from their new teacher, too.

Have fun! Kindergarten was probably my favorite year with my kids! I can't believe it was already 2 years ago for my youngest "baby"!

mommy053008
by Maria on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:42 PM
They (thankfully) don't do phase in at the school we are putting her in they do start on a Wednesday though.

Quoting jamianne:

Our school doesn't do anything that cool.

Our Pre-K has a gradual easing-in schedule: day 1 they go in for 1/2 hour with only 4 kids at a time so they can meet their teachers and a couple of their classmates.  DS teachers had them bring their favorite stuffed animal with them and they talked about them.  Day 2 is for an 1 1/2 hours with half the class (about 8 kids) at a time; day 3 is 1/2 day with the entire class.  Then Monday (we usually start on a Wednesday) they go in for their first full day.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommy053008
by Maria on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:42 PM
I cried when she started k3 k4 and I know I'll cry when she starts k

Quoting BuckeyezRule:

How fun! Great idea! On a side note, I cried when each kid started preschool, k, and 1st grade (1st time full day) . I'm emotional. Lol

piwife
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Nope we had a welcome to the school 2 wks before schoo started. It was 1 hr. Of meeting teachers, and getting info
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyChance
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 1:52 PM
I love that your school is doing this!! We didn't have anything like that at all. We had orientation, all the Kinders and parents went to the auditorium, the principal spoke. The kids were then taken by their teachers to the classroom. I hadn't even laid eyes on, or spoken with, his teacher before this!!! Then all the parents went to the cafeteria, 15 minutes later, the kids came back. I introduced myself to his teacher and was quickly interrupted when she saw a parent she knew. It was sadly disappointing.
corrinacs
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Holy cow, our school didn't do anything like this!  I know that they did have orientation the week prior to school starting, and Caden got to meet his actual teacher.  They visited thier classroom for a few hours while we sat in another room going over the logistics (filling out paperwork, etc).  They also have informational sessions too.

But beyond that, nothing like what you are describing!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN