Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I just got an email from my daughters school that they will be having a Kindergarten play day april 19th. 

The afternoon is set up as follows:

1:00- 1:30 p.m.- scavenger hunt through the Elementary School in small groups
1:30- 2:00 p.m.- rotating through each of the (3) Kindergarten teachers' classrooms for story reading, craft, or
                          snack
2:00- 2:45 p.m.- divide into two groups and split time between organized games in the gym 
                          and free play time on the playground

As a "thank you" gift for attending, each child will receive a "name of school" Kindergarten Round-Up t-shirt, a cowboy hat, and a bandana. 

She will attend Kindergarten at the school starting in August. They are doing such neat little things for the upcoming Kindergarteners. They will also have Kindergarten day at the end of July/early August where the kids will meet some classmates and teachers and have a huge pizza/pool party.

I am very nervous as she is my first kid entering big kid school (she is currently in a 2 day a week Prek). At least the school is making Kindergarten seem fun and exciting for the newest members to a school setting! We definitely picked the right school! 

Did your school do anything to make your Kindergartener feel not so overwhelmed? Did they have any fun play days?

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 7:10 PM
Replies (21-30):
soymujer
by Mikki on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this

They have kindergarten round up where the incoming kindergartners will go to school, meet the teachers and see what kindergarten is all about.  This day, the kindergartners have no school.

family in the van   Mom of four

pixie-buttercup
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:00 PM

I think that's an awesome idea!! That will definitely ease some of the nervousness about going to kindergarten! 

My son's school didn't offer anything like that when he was starting kindergarten, but they do now. We missed it by one year!! lol  They did have a "meet the teacher" night a few days before school started and we got to see his classroom and the music/art/library rooms. And he got to ride a bus for the first time. 

mommy053008
by Maria on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:31 PM
:-( this is mine and hubbies alumni school (k-12) most of the teachers had my husband when he was of that age. But I would never want to take the spotlight awayfrom those who don't know the school that well. Shame on that teacher!

Quoting MommyChance:

I love that your school is doing this!! We didn't have anything like that at all. We had orientation, all the Kinders and parents went to the auditorium, the principal spoke. The kids were then taken by their teachers to the classroom. I hadn't even laid eyes on, or spoken with, his teacher before this!!! Then all the parents went to the cafeteria, 15 minutes later, the kids came back. I introduced myself to his teacher and was quickly interrupted when she saw a parent she knew. It was sadly disappointing.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommy053008
by Maria on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:33 PM
This is a private school and this particular private school wants their parents involved. So they do fun stuff for the kids (: I didnt know if other schools around did this?

Quoting corrinacs:

Holy cow, our school didn't do anything like this!  I know that they did have orientation the week prior to school starting, and Caden got to meet his actual teacher.  They visited thier classroom for a few hours while we sat in another room going over the logistics (filling out paperwork, etc).  They also have informational sessions too.

But beyond that, nothing like what you are describing!!!

mommy053008
by Maria on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:34 PM
Since our school is private they don't offer bus service but I stay home anyway so I'd be there to get her

Quoting pixie-buttercup:

I think that's an awesome idea!! That will definitely ease some of the nervousness about going to kindergarten! 

My son's school didn't offer anything like that when he was starting kindergarten, but they do now. We missed it by one year!! lol  They did have a "meet the teacher" night a few days before school started and we got to see his classroom and the music/art/library rooms. And he got to ride a bus for the first time. 

corrinacs
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Oh, that would explain it LOL.  No, I've still never heard of it, but that's awesome I think!

Quoting mommy053008:

This is a private school and this particular private school wants their parents involved. So they do fun stuff for the kids (: I didnt know if other schools around did this?

Quoting corrinacs:

Holy cow, our school didn't do anything like this!  I know that they did have orientation the week prior to school starting, and Caden got to meet his actual teacher.  They visited thier classroom for a few hours while we sat in another room going over the logistics (filling out paperwork, etc).  They also have informational sessions too.

mommy053008
by Maria on Mar. 20, 2013 at 7:36 PM
My sisters kids go to a different private school and she said they didn't do anything like it either. I think its such a cute idea.

Quoting corrinacs:

Oh, that would explain it LOL.  No, I've still never heard of it, but that's awesome I think!

Quoting mommy053008:

Quoting corrinacs:

JeremysMom
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:22 PM

For my son's school, they had Kindergarten Peek. They were split into 4 or 5 groups and went to different stations every 15 minutes (cafeteria, gym, kindergarten classroom, and media center). Each station had an activity and a current kindergarten parent to answer questions. 

I work at a school and I am hoping to do the same for our upcoming kindergartners.

mommy053008
by Maria on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:29 PM
That's a cute idea! Love it!

Your son doesn't attend where you teach?

Quoting JeremysMom:

For my son's school, they had Kindergarten Peek. They were split into 4 or 5 groups and went to different stations every 15 minutes (cafeteria, gym, kindergarten classroom, and media center). Each station had an activity and a current kindergarten parent to answer questions. 

I work at a school and I am hoping to do the same for our upcoming kindergartners.

JeremysMom
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:44 PM

No, he has been going to his school since Pre-K (he is in 2nd now) and when I got this job last school year, it was just suppose to be a one year assignment. I was able to extend for another year and I am hoping to get a more permanent position for next school year.

Quoting mommy053008:

That's a cute idea! Love it!

Your son doesn't attend where you teach?

Quoting JeremysMom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN