Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I saw an interesting facebook post from an acquaintance this week. 

She had her preschool age son tested for the gifted program and he qualified. She posted his IQ score on her facebook page. 

I found that to be pretty tacky. 

First of all, his IQ isn't as high as she thinks it is. LOL And it just seemed like kind of childish bragging. 

Would you ever post your child's IQ on a public forum like that?

by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:05 PM
Replies (11-20):
Cindy18
by Cruella on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:24 PM

I'm not sure really. I might...... I've had some hard times with my boys (one is autistic and one is dyslexic) so if their IQs were high I might want to brag a little.

BTW they never have had IQ tests.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:28 PM
DS was tested in school. He scored well but they never suggested he join the gifted program, our standards are high here. Unlike a lot of CMers, I am OK with him not labeled as gifted.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EslingerCrew11
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:31 PM
No, I wouldn't.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkParadox
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:35 PM
I don't know which is more tacky, her bragging to her friends & family on Facebook or you talking shit behind her back, on a completely different public forum....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MrsSamMerlotte
by Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:36 PM
1 mom liked this
I actually find most of these replies tacky. I'm sitting here rolling my eyes at you women for putting this mother down for her possible low income and "not as bright as she thinks" child. Then some go on to mention how their kid is in the gifted program or has a high iq but your not bragging.... Right.
Does it make you feel better about your mediocre kid to talk badly about this mother and child?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
arthistmom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Since I don't post anything about my kids on a public forum, especially FB, I wouldn't do what she did. And since my MIL was a long-time teacher (just recently retired) of gifted students, unless the IQ score was extremely high, she'd probably be the first to burst our bubble. Not that she doesn't think her grandsons are extraordinary, but she would have her gifted teacher hat on and be realistic about the whole thing.

diaperstodating
by Angel on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:41 PM
No I would not.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:43 PM

No, I would not.  Posting stuff like that is ridiculous and I honestly don't see the point.  A child's IQ is no one's business other than his parents.

Kris_PBG
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:00 PM
I guess it is at least good she is proud of her son - bit geez - she is making herself look very silly.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

I'm not sure she really gets that. 

She hasn't met with the school. She just got the private report I don't know if that into goes into plan B. 

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Same criteria as our district - and we have one private psychologist JUST like that too...

Amazing how her kids that are tested can often barely make it in the program - or have to be asked to leave...

So she is bragging about her child's non- gifted IQ that she needs to use her free/reduced lunch status to get him in the program? Lol - oh dear!

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

He must have had an alternative qualification because of income. 

The cut off is 130, but if the student is low income they can qualify with lower if they demonstrate gifted traits. 

It seems like all the kids who test with this one psychologist end up just barley making it. 

Quoting Kris_PBG:

That would not qualify for the gifted program in my district! Does it in hers???

And no - I would NEVER do that!!! Who does that???? (Well - obviously besides this women!!!)

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting DrDoofenshmirtz:

No, that is tacky.  It is on thing to be excited that he got into a giftedprogam, but another to post his score. Now you have me curious, what is it?  We just had a parent at school test their child and now thinks she is a genius because she is at 115. And I would say average at our school is 125, so that made it even funnier.

It was above average. But they used a private evaluator who gets considerably higher scores than the school psychologists at all the local schools. 

His was in the low 120s. High for sure. But nothing out of the ordinary. 

BuckeyezRule
by Laura on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:38 PM

It so sounds like something a friend of mine would do. I love her, but she can be over the top. I doubt I'd post that on fb. I might post about being proud of him/her. But, I posted I was proud that he was singing along with me to a classic rock song, so, who knows? Lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)