Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I saw an interesting facebook post from an acquaintance this week. 

She had her preschool age son tested for the gifted program and he qualified. She posted his IQ score on her facebook page. 

I found that to be pretty tacky. 

First of all, his IQ isn't as high as she thinks it is. LOL And it just seemed like kind of childish bragging. 

Would you ever post your child's IQ on a public forum like that?

by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:05 PM
Replies (31-40):
RMC007
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:42 AM
1 mom liked this

An IQ of 130 or above is required for GT services at our school. <85-116 is considered average, and 117-129 is considered above average/high achiever. That parent is an idiot. Her child is, in fact, probably very smart and does well in school, but she is no Einstein. I think a lot of people don't understand that just because your child is smart and makes all A's does not mean they are gifted.

I have to ask, what type of school are you at where the average IQ is about 125? That is really high.

Quoting DrDoofenshmirtz:

No, that is tacky.  It is on thing to be excited that he got into a giftedprogam, but another to post his score. Now you have me curious, what is it?  We just had a parent at school test their child and now thinks she is a genius because she is at 115. And I would say average at our school is 125, so that made it even funnier.

endurablemist
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:57 AM
My daughter is in gifted, the only person I told her IQ to was my sister, and only because she asked. It is more than her IQ that got her in the program.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Basherte
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 7:08 AM

No. I wouldn't. Not even if it was genius level.

That's really tacky. Besides life is all about the iq.

CafeMom Tickers
Thelmama
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 7:09 AM

No, I would not post that.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Wow! A child gets "extra points" because they are low income!? That's crazy! You either qualify based on your test scores or you don't!? Talk about entitlement at an early age. Ours is based solely on the Cognat scores and there is NO "extra" consideration given. To answer the original question, no I would not post any scores on FB. It's fairly obvious here if your kid is in the gifted program. They leave class twice a day for math and language.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

He must have had an alternative qualification because of income. 

The cut off is 130, but if the student is low income they can qualify with lower if they demonstrate gifted traits. 

It seems like all the kids who test with this one psychologist end up just barley making it. 

Quoting Kris_PBG:

That would not qualify for the gifted program in my district! Does it in hers???

And no - I would NEVER do that!!! Who does that???? (Well - obviously besides this women!!!)

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting DrDoofenshmirtz:

No, that is tacky.  It is on thing to be excited that he got into a giftedprogam, but another to post his score. Now you have me curious, what is it?  We just had a parent at school test their child and now thinks she is a genius because she is at 115. And I would say average at our school is 125, so that made it even funnier.

It was above average. But they used a private evaluator who gets considerably higher scores than the school psychologists at all the local schools. 

His was in the low 120s. High for sure. But nothing out of the ordinary. 

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:45 AM

No, I wouldn't. It's tacky and potentially embarrassing to the child.

I don't even know my kids' IQ's.

LucyHarper
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:47 AM

It is actually not possible to get an accurate IQ on a child, they can give you an estimation and tell you if they are bright or not, but not a specific number until they are in their teens, so either she went to one of those bogus sites or she's lying.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:52 AM

She might be saying the average for the gifted students at her school is 125, not the entire student body.

Quoting RMC007:

An IQ of 130 or above is required for GT services at our school. <85-116 is considered average, and 117-129 is considered above average/high achiever. That parent is an idiot. Her child is, in fact, probably very smart and does well in school, but she is no Einstein. I think a lot of people don't understand that just because your child is smart and makes all A's does not mean they are gifted.

I have to ask, what type of school are you at where the average IQ is about 125? That is really high.

Quoting DrDoofenshmirtz:

jaytee
by Jen on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:12 AM

I have posted how proud I am of my kiddos and how they are doing in school. I don't *think* that I would ever post their IQ

SahmTam
by Tammy on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:48 AM
Quoting LucyHarper:

It is actually not possible to get an accurate IQ on a child, they can give you an estimation and tell you if they are bright or not, but not a specific number until they are in their teens, so either she went to one of those bogus sites or she's lying.

I was given specific numbers by our school psychologist for my son who was 6 at the time of testing. I was given the overall number and numbers for different categories of the test.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)