Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I saw an interesting facebook post from an acquaintance this week. 

She had her preschool age son tested for the gifted program and he qualified. She posted his IQ score on her facebook page. 

I found that to be pretty tacky. 

First of all, his IQ isn't as high as she thinks it is. LOL And it just seemed like kind of childish bragging. 

Would you ever post your child's IQ on a public forum like that?

by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:05 PM
Replies (41-50):
STVUstudent
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:50 AM

nope.  lol...

SahmTam
by Tammy on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Quoting RMC007:

An IQ of 130 or above is required for GT services at our school. <85-116 is considered average, and 117-129 is considered above average/high achiever. That parent is an idiot. Her child is, in fact, probably very smart and does well in school, but she is no Einstein. I think a lot of people don't understand that just because your child is smart and makes all A's does not mean they are gifted.

I have to ask, what type of school are you at where the average IQ is about 125? That is really high.

Same here.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:04 PM

I don't even know what my own IQ is. Honestly, I'm not sure if I would post it on Facebook or not. Most of my FB friends are people I know IRL or friends I've made on CM, but I actually doubt I'd post it since I'm not always active on FB.

My son was tested twice for the G&T program because the whole district tests all kids in K and in 2nd grade. I don't remember what he scored on either test, just the range that he scored in on both tests. So I guess I don't value those exact numbers that highly.

nomadbrat83
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:07 PM
No and oldest dd has a high IQ (as I do too). I eould never post that on FB. Lmao.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
nomadbrat83
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Exactly the IQ test was just one of the criteria requited for my daughter for the gifted program.

Quoting endurablemist:

My daughter is in gifted, the only person I told her IQ to was my sister, and only because she asked. It is more than her IQ that got her in the program.
debramommyof4
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:12 PM

No but people already think I am bragging when I say a few things about my older two girls and there is a mom on my facebook who trys to compete with me with her dd who is the same age as my oldest.  It drives me crazy but I do not play into it.  I just let her have her moment and say I am proud of her dd.

LucyHarper
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Quoting SahmTam:

Quoting LucyHarper:

It is actually not possible to get an accurate IQ on a child, they can give you an estimation and tell you if they are bright or not, but not a specific number until they are in their teens, so either she went to one of those bogus sites or she's lying.

I was given specific numbers by our school psychologist for my son who was 6 at the time of testing. I was given the overall number and numbers for different categories of the test.

She shouldn't have done that, it's not possible to accurately test a child of that age.

mom2many747
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:19 PM

I guess I technically just did that on a post I just posted on here about needing help with my daughter, so yes. I think parents have always had the need to brag about their children so...

Frankly, it sound kind of like jealousy when you say "his IQ isn't as high as she thinks it is. LOL". If he underwent standardized testing then his IQ is exactly what she thinks it is give or take 10-15 points either way depending on the test he took.

Just saying...

Schleetle
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:21 PM
IDK... I don't think there is anything wrong with being proud of your kid, if she's obnoxious in general then that's a different story.
mom2many747
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting LucyHarper:

Quoting SahmTam:

Quoting LucyHarper:

It is actually not possible to get an accurate IQ on a child, they can give you an estimation and tell you if they are bright or not, but not a specific number until they are in their teens, so either she went to one of those bogus sites or she's lying.

I was given specific numbers by our school psychologist for my son who was 6 at the time of testing. I was given the overall number and numbers for different categories of the test.

She shouldn't have done that, it's not possible to accurately test a child of that age.

They actually have tests that are designed specifically for pre-schoolers that are as accurate as IQ tests for adults. A lot of work went into the Stanford-Binet and again, it was designed specifically for testing the IQ of children aged 3 and older.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN