Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

My Daughter is at Risk of Failing the FCAT (Edit)

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:28 AM
  • 51 Replies

My daughter is in 3rd grade and this year is her first taking the FCAT. I've tried to prepare her all year, give her extra help, meet with the teacher etc. but I just can't get through to her. Now, FCAT is less than 3 weeks away and my daughter is in serious trouble. I administered the practice FCAT for both math and reading that the Department of Education provides on their website and her scores baffled me. She managed a 55% on the reading and a 47% on the math. I'm beyond worried right now. If she doesn't pass the FCAT she will be retained in the third grade. It doesn't matter that her reportcard reflects passing grades. I'm also very confused. My daughter has an above average IQ; 124. Neither her teacher no myself can figure out why she's struggling so much. I need some ideas that might work with her. I can't afford a personal tutor though I have been asking around for one that may be able to volunteer their time. I have been trying to teach her myself. I even do school at home after school and for a few hours over the weekend. I just can'tget through to her. She just stares at me like I've got four heads. Please, someone help!

I've got some good news! I found a teacher who is willing to volunteer her time and come to my home to tutor my daughter Saturday and Sunday Afternoon. She'll be coming every weekend until the test which is just over 2 weeks away. I'm so excited for my daughter! I feel like having a tutor will give her a little more confidence because she's getting more one on one attention from someone who is trained for that.

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:40 AM
3 moms liked this
Have you worked on basic test taking skills?

Things like looking at the answers and eliminating any that are obviously wrong, reading the questions FIRST on reading portions so you know what to look for.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
nova.mommy
by Kristi on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Have you tried this:

http://www.fcatexplorer.com/

bellawomen
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Has she been tested for any learning disorders such as dyslexia? You can have above average IQs and still have disabilities. The school is required by law in the US to test her at your request every time you request, even if you request daily. Its free, take advantage of it.
mom2many747
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Have you worked on basic test taking skills?

Things like looking at the answers and eliminating any that are obviously wrong, reading the questions FIRST on reading portions so you know what to look for.

I did work on them with her though I found out from her teacher that she won't be allowed to read the questions in advance. I have been trying to teach her to rule out answers that don't make sense but she doesn't seem to get it.

mom2many747
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Quoting nova.mommy:

Have you tried this:

http://www.fcatexplorer.com/

I haven't even heard of it but I'm going to check it out now. Thank you so much!

Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:06 PM

I don't know anything about FCAT since we live in a different state, but since you don't know why she is struggling....have you had her vision and hearing tested lately?

mom2many747
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Quoting bellawomen:

Has she been tested for any learning disorders such as dyslexia? You can have above average IQs and still have disabilities. The school is required by law in the US to test her at your request every time you request, even if you request daily. Its free, take advantage of it.

I asked them to test her but they said because I had her tested at 4 that another test isn't necessary until she is in middle school. They said if I want the testing done I'm going to have to get it from an outside source so I tried to make an appointment with my 7 year olds psychologist but he can't see her unless she is referred to him through a therapist or psychiatrist, neither of which Kazmira (my 8 year old) sees. I have considered the possibility of getting her in with a psychiatrist but all they ever want to do is put kids on meds which I'm very conservative about. I had been saying since she was in kindergarten that I thought there was a possibility that she was dyslexic, even if it was a mild case but the teacher's kept pushing it off. She still gets some of her letters confused but for the most part is doing ok. Her reading skills are all over the board though. When it comes to the words she can read, she is at a 6th grade reading level but her reading comprehension is only 2nd grade. So she can read a lot but she doesn't understand most of what she's reading. I don't know how to teach her how to understand. I think it's something that has to develop on it's own.

MomAsOf_2008
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:10 PM
It could be to easy for her she maybe just puting answers down without even caring if the work is to easy for her
mom2many747
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Barabell:

I don't know anything about FCAT since we live in a different state, but since you don't know why she is struggling....have you had her vision and hearing tested lately?

She had her vision and hearing tested at school in the beginning of the 2nd quarter this year and passed both.

mom2many747
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Quoting MomAsOf_2008:

It could be to easy for her she maybe just puting answers down without even caring if the work is to easy for her

I did consider that but it really seems like she just doesn't understand.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN