Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

DD shaving?

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:33 AM
  • 52 Replies

my DD is 8 and has very hairy legs already. My question is, when is a good age to have her start shaving? im thinking of letting her use an electric shaver because the thought of her using a bladed raser scares me. any opinions?

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Your child, your rules.

Not happening in our home until AT LEAST middle school, hopefully not until high school.

Its more important to teach kids to be proud of their body. Once she starts shaving it never ends.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
dballa
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:47 AM

My friend's daughter just turned 9 and she bought her a razor and cream.  She has dark hair and is hairy though.  Like above said, your child, your rules. 

Txlisa7969
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:49 AM
2 moms liked this

I would follow her lead on this.  If she is not having a problem with it don't worry.  If she begins asking about it take her seriously.  And I do agree about the electric shaver.  My oldest who is 15 now asked when she was around 10 because the dark hair on her legs was starting to make her feel self concious.  I got her an electric shaver and discussed and showed her how to use it properly.  The reason I choose to deal with it like this is because my parents had a hard/fast rule of no shaving till I was 13.  My legs and underarm were plenty hairy by the time I was 11 and it did impact my self esteem and I was teased about it at school.  I promised myself I would not make any furture girls I might have endure the same thing.  Like I said take her lead on it.  She will let you know when she is ready.

sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:55 AM

she complains about the hair but not wanting to shave it. she says it hurts her when she has her shinpads and soccer socks on. she just assumes that with everything else, she has to wait until she is 12. but her hair is dark and everytime she wears shorts or a skirt, someone always comments on her hairy legs. i feel bad for her

Quoting Txlisa7969:

I would follow her lead on this.  If she is not having a problem with it don't worry.  If she begins asking about it take her seriously.  And I do agree about the electric shaver.  My oldest who is 15 now asked when she was around 10 because the dark hair on her legs was starting to make her feel self concious.  I got her an electric shaver and discussed and showed her how to use it properly.  The reason I choose to deal with it like this is because my parents had a hard/fast rule of no shaving till I was 13.  My legs and underarm were plenty hairy by the time I was 11 and it did impact my self esteem and I was teased about it at school.  I promised myself I would not make any furture girls I might have endure the same thing.  Like I said take her lead on it.  She will let you know when she is ready.

MJP76
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I allowed my DD to shave her legs, just up to her knees at 9. She was also very hairy, and she was embarassed to wear shorts in the summer. She did fine with a regular razor. I walked her through it the first time, and she was fine. She also started shaving her armpits at 9.

at 12 is when she started shaving past her knees, and her privates.

MamaJess9
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:58 AM
2 moms liked this

Then I would let her.  I wouldn't make my daughter live with something that was bothering her (physically or mentally) that was that easily fixable because of some arbitrary "right age".  I would definitely go with the electric razor as I know my 9 yo DD probably couldn't handle a regular one safely.

Quoting sahmw2010:

she complains about the hair but not wanting to shave it. she says it hurts her when she has her shinpads and soccer socks on. she just assumes that with everything else, she has to wait until she is 12. but her hair is dark and everytime she wears shorts or a skirt, someone always comments on her hairy legs. i feel bad for her

Quoting Txlisa7969:

MsRkg
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:00 PM

There is never a right "age". If she needs to shave, then she needs to shave. It like any other hygienic body function. There's no right "age" to start deodorant or wearing a bra,  when you start to need it, you do it.

STVUstudent
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Why do you feel the need to have her shave it off?  Seriously... it is strictly cosmetic- there are no health benefits to it.  Let it be.

Txlisa7969
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:04 PM

If she is just complaining about it because of her sports equipment I would let it be for now.  If she comes to you saying Mom this is really bothering me and I want to do something about it please take her seriously.  Your timeline sounds reasonable but think of making it flexible depending on her.  My Mom tried to let me shave early because she knew it was bothering me and my father is the one that threw a fit and forbid it before 13.  It hurt because to an 11 yr old girl it seemed like he didn't respect my feelings on it.  If people such as friends or family are pointing it out especially in front of her if it was me I would be quickly shutting them down.  If they want to speak to me about a physical concern privately that's fine but NEVER point out a physical trait such as dark hair on her legs in front of my child where she can over hear and be hurt or insulted.

bizkit_fanky
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Dd is 8, and it will be a long time before she/ we do any shaving.....When she is ready we will start with Veet....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)