Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Stupid Things People Say to Moms of Girls

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:05 PM
  • 18 Replies

5 Stupid Things People Say to Moms of Girls

by Kristen Chase

Stupid things people say to parents of girlsAs a mom of four kids, I've had some pretty stupid things said to me over the years. But none have been as bad as the things people say to me (and my husband) about parenting three girls.

But hey, thank goodness I at least have one boy to balance things out.

(Seriously, someone said that.)

If you're raising girls yourself, then I'm guessing you've heard at least some or all of these things too.

Well, so much for your namesake! Last time I checked, I kept my own name, and although I didn't pass it along to my kids, it's 2013 and not 1957. There are plenty of women who are keeping their last names and giving them to their kids. And even crazier, there are men who are hyphenating and/or changing their own names.

More from The Stir: If I Die: Life Lessons for My Daughters

How do you survive with all the estrogen in your house? I cannot tell you how many times my husband hears this and how many times he has to tell people how wonderful it is to have so many women in the house. Even better is when people push him to talk about "that time of the month," which generally makes his blood boil. I like to ask them about their bowel regularity (which to me is an equally inappropriate topic), which generally shuts people up.

Good luck when they're teenagers! So let's be clear here: Teenagers in general are hard, not just girls. In fact, I'm pretty sure it'll be crazy in my house because I'll have four teenagers, not because three of them are girls. But hey, you're welcome to come over and document that first hand considering how much you know about child development.

Hope you're saving up for all those weddings! I realize that, traditionally speaking, the bride's parents pay for the wedding; however, that's not something that happened to me and it won't be happening for my kids either. We're happy to support them in their choices, whether it's marriage or a partnership or whatever else they decide, but I won't be plunking down thousands of dollars for their weddings. And PS. Is it really your business?

It must be so quiet and peaceful in your house! I still can't quite understand why people think girls are so docile. Sure, maybe a gaggle of boys might be more active in their play, but trust me when I say that girls are not peaceful or quiet. And if they are, like most other kids, they are probably doing something they're not supposed to. Thanks for furthering gender stereotypes!

Parents of girls: What annoying things have people said to you?

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bleumonster
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:11 PM
I've gotten the " good luck when she becomes a teen". Considering how my 11 year old DS is already acting, I don't see how the teen years are going to be that much easier for a boy than a girl. Girls are meaner though LOL.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
delilahsmom1177
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:43 PM

OMG I hate it. Especailly since my DD is a girly girl to a tee. Pink and frilly and glitter. I was never like that. I liked girl things like barbies and dolls and things like that but OMG if I hear about one more My Little Pony I might scream. I haven't really heard anything other than "you must enjoy the quite my son is always loud." So yeah that's on the list.... I simply say Yeah you take her an hour when she is her I want to be a rockstar mood.

I'm a tattooed,pagan,pro-choice,pro-legalizing marijuana,pro-gay marriage,anti-war,non-vaxing,tree hugging,animal loving,book reading,animal testing free,depression battling, trying to raise a free spirit and letting her be who she is but still teaching her important life lessons,fighting for equal rights at the same time,don't like it get over it.

Txlisa7969
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I have a 13 and 15 y/o daughters and I get the teen comment all the time.  I just blow it off now because I have a few friends with only boy teens and I know from what they tell me they are no better off lol.  Now the hormonal thing well, that one holds some truth.  I have two teen girls with raging PMS and I am starting early menopause so it can get a little scary around here from time to time.  My DH and 6 y/o son have learned to run for the hills when it does and for the hills I mean the video game store for a hour or two. 

soymujer
by Mikki on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:45 PM

I have a 13 year old daughter, the others are boys, two of them being teens.  Yes, raising teens is hard but I do have to say the statement good luck when they are teens is correct because my daughter has caused me more stress since entering puberty and teenhood than my boys!

family in the van   Mom of four

MrsSexyCurtains
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Honestly it doesn't bother me but I do have to say my child is pretty quiet.  She is an only child so that may be why but she is pretty peaceful and it's nice lol.

belindah
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Both my girsl have long natural ringlets in their hair near the ends, people have asked me if I perm their hair, they have been asking this since they were both 18 months old. Who can get an 18 month old to sit still to perm their hair? but then again I had someone ask me when ds was six months old is his eyes were colored contacts.  who would do that to a child

Allebas
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Well--DH and I had 4 boys--we ADORE them, but truly wanted a GIRL!! So--at my 20-week ultrasound with baby #5, I FINALLY heard, "ITS A GIRL!!!" I was in total shock!! I didn't believe the tech!! HA!! HA!! HA!! So, everyone was like, "Do you even know what to do with a girl after 4 boys??" DUH!!!! I'm a GIRL!! You get them dolls, and dresses, and nail polish etc., etc!!! HOLY CRAP!! I am NOT an idiot!!! I also had one older gal who had the nerve to say, "Are they "SURE" its a girl?" I told her the tech told me she was 95% SURE I was having a girl!!! Our boys are A LOT like their dad, which is a good thing!! DH is sweet, caring, laid-back, etc! DD is pretty easy-going as well. Of course, they ALL have their 'moments' whether they are boys or girls.

Allebas
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this

WHAT???? Ppl actually asked if you put colored contact lenses in your child's eyes??? That is INSANE!! I would be like, "Ya--I'd LOVE to see you try and put contact lenses in my son's eyes!!" Some ppl are truly the biggest IDIOTS out there!! I SWEAR!!

Quoting belindah:

Both my girsl have long natural ringlets in their hair near the ends, people have asked me if I perm their hair, they have been asking this since they were both 18 months old. Who can get an 18 month old to sit still to perm their hair? but then again I had someone ask me when ds was six months old is his eyes were colored contacts.  who would do that to a child

Newfie_Mom
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:28 PM
My mom got asked the same thing about my eyes from the time I was a toddler and people started asking me once I was in elementary. She said yeah very sarcastically to one lady when i was about fiur or five who then looked at me which was about the time I had decided to flip my eyelids inside out. She was so grossed out. :)

Quoting belindah:

belindah
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:31 PM
Ppl have stopped asking thank goodness lol hopefully non of them learn how to flip their eyelids lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN