Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Dyslexia A Learning Disability

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:14 PM
  • 25 Replies

Well, I'm flabbergasted.  I tracked my kids very early on worrying about dyslexia.  Their teachers have assured me they are fine.  My husband and many of the men in his family have it pretty bad.  Thankfully, the kids have not had issues with it.

But, I was just talking to a parent who has dyslexia and sees the symptoms in her son.  So, she has been trying to get her son tested (for 1 1/2 years) in order to get him some additional help.  He is at the point where he is begining to struggle.  Found out our state does not recognize dyslexia as a learning disability and will not test children for it.  In order to get a child additional help, they have to be diagnosed with a learning disability.

I'm really considering seeing if the PTA/PTSA will push this through our legislative chair next year.  I cannot believe the state does not recognize it as a learning disability.

This flabbergasts me.  Is anyone elses state/district like this?

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
diaperstodating
by Angel on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:21 PM

I have a son with dyslexia, it is recognized as a learning disability in my state.

Cindy18
by Cruella on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:23 PM

They don't test specifically for Dyslexia. What they will test for is a learning disability. Dyslexia is a learning disability so the help is the same. They just don't specify dyslexia.

gonecrazi
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:26 PM

My youngest has some symptoms but tested really well so the only help he has is at home.

GotSomeKids
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:27 PM

In our state, they have to be diagnosed with a specific learning disability.  Not just general learning issues.  I learned this when my son was preschool age and they thought he was have speech issues.  But, since they discovered he doesn't have speech issues, I didn't get any deeper into it.  I just had no idea they didn't consider dyslexia a learning disability.

Quoting Cindy18:

They don't test specifically for Dyslexia. What they will test for is a learning disability. Dyslexia is a learning disability so the help is the same. They just don't specify dyslexia.

Cindy18
by Cruella on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Speech is different. What state are you are in?

Quoting GotSomeKids:

In our state, they have to be diagnosed with a specific learning disability.  Not just general learning issues.  I learned this when my son was preschool age and they thought he was have speech issues.  But, since they discovered he doesn't have speech issues, I didn't get any deeper into it.  I just had no idea they didn't consider dyslexia a learning disability.

Quoting Cindy18:

~~Cindy

LucyHarper
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:30 PM

How old are the children? I have dyslexia, they often will not diagnose kids until they are older because many of the symptoms of dyslexia are very common in young readers and writers and they grow out of them. They did a study and of the 100 children who they tracked who showed signs of dyslexia in kindergarten, only 6 went on to actually have dyslexia. Because of how our brains work, most kids learning how to read show symptoms. It isn't until they are older and still have those symptoms that they start the testing. Has she looked into help for him outside the school?

mamavalor
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:32 PM

In which state do you live?

GotSomeKids
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:32 PM

I know speech is diff and we were in WA at the time.  We were in VA when I talked to his teachers about dyslexia and they consider it a learning disability.  But, we've come back to WA and OMG, it is so different here.

Quoting Cindy18:

Speech is different. What state are you are in?

Quoting GotSomeKids:

Quoting Cindy18:

GotSomeKids
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:33 PM

WA

Quoting mamavalor:

In which state do you live?

mamavalor
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Do some research as to what parents do with a kid who has dyslexia.  Some accommodations and modifications can easily be done in the classroom by the regular education teacher. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)