Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

So - Should I or keep bugging..?

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:53 PM
  • 14 Replies

Should I go up in the ladder of the school with this issue or keep poking at the principal?

I am sure some of you remember when I posted about the school and the parents being completely disrespectful in following parking safety and blocking people in.. Well the principal talked to two people and yes they've stopped but there is still other doing now and it's progressively getting worse.. Here is some pictures....

And Yes - There are parking spots open.. Both instances, there were atleast 2 parkings spots open if not openings behind me where they can park but insist on blocking people in..

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MsLogansMommy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:26 AM

It is really hard to see what you are referring to from the pictures I am trying to understand how the parking lot is set up are there lines for people to use as a guide to what is and isn't a space?

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:35 AM
That's the way the parking was at the elementary school around here when I picked up my nephews. Drove me crazy! Now it's even worse because the lot they were using for parking has the new vets hall that is sitting partially built due to lack of funds. They were supposed to tear down the old one and make that space parking but not anymore :(
The other school I used to pick kids up at you just drove up and they sent the kids up to the car.
A huge benefit of homeschooling is not having to deal with that!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Could you just pick up/ drop off at a location a little further from the school and avoid the mess?

MissyMegs
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Quoting MsLogansMommy:

It is really hard to see what you are referring to from the pictures I am trying to understand how the parking lot is set up are there lines for people to use as a guide to what is and isn't a space?

The pictures are were there not supposed to park.. On the right side of my car is an empty unloading/loading lane. 

But people block the spot allowing people to get in that second lane.. 

MissyMegs
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Quoting mjande4:

Could you just pick up/ drop off at a location a little further from the school and avoid the mess?

I can park on the street or what i've been doing off and on is getting my kindergartener out of school like 15 min early to avoid the mess.

heathercm26
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:44 AM
Im not sure of the principle is the right guy to talk to. He is in charge of education. Not parking. Maybe talk to facilities management.....or the city if its public street pick up. Maybe security if u have it there. Or better yet ask the principle who would be the best person to talk to.

Perhaps the solution would be a crossing guard type person directing traffic or a letter home to the parents with all the other notices. Do u have a pta?
heathercm26
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:46 AM
You could also wait by.your car and politely say, "excuse me you are blocking me in".
heathercm26
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:47 AM
Sometimes schools have pick up times 5 minutes apart.... like 4k 5k and first grade then 5 minutes later, everyone else.
MsLogansMommy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 4:24 AM

this is exactly what we have at my dd school there is a crossing guard at the traffic light to ensure the safety of ppl crossing the street and there is also a crossing guard inside the parking lot to the school to make sure cars stop for kids crossing the drive thru pick up area. there is a yellow curb to wait for kids at but you cannot leave your vehicle unattended and there is a second lane that is a constant flow of traffic no stopping lane (except of course for pedestrians). It seems to work out pretty well I have only used the drive thru area on a couple of occasions and it is actually more efficient then parking in the street but it doesnt always work for me since I usually need to get out and go get her so I usually park on the street. On nice days I just walk we only live a few blocks away.

It is very frustrating when ppl break the rules or do unsafe things just to save a few minutes or a few steps it gives the impression they think their time is more valuable then anyone elses. I wish I could pick up my dd earlier to avoid all the mess but I don't want her to miss anything important the teacher is saying at the end of the day. So are they okay with you picking up 15 minutes early I know when dd was in preschool it wasn't a big deal and I usually did make my schedule a little different then everyone elses to avoid the congestion but in grade school I didn't think they would allow you to drop off and pick up at different times I thought there was a specific schedule you have to adhere to is it different where you live?

Quoting heathercm26:

Im not sure of the principle is the right guy to talk to. He is in charge of education. Not parking. Maybe talk to facilities management.....or the city if its public street pick up. Maybe security if u have it there. Or better yet ask the principle who would be the best person to talk to.

Perhaps the solution would be a crossing guard type person directing traffic or a letter home to the parents with all the other notices. Do u have a pta?

STVUstudent
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Well that sucks. 

I really like the way my school does it... they have two carpool lanes, depending upon which direction you go in when leaving the school, to minimize traffic interferance.  You get in the appropriate carpool lane for your pick up, the kids come out and get in the cars, and the carpool 500 starts... cars are directed out into traffic, in order, by the teacher's aid... (and you had BETTER be able to go when it is your turn!)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)