Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Someone Tell Me This is Just a Phase (PIOG)

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:57 PM
  • 7 Replies

So, got progress reports and my son is being uber lazy.  There is no reason what so ever that he should be failing anything, but most of his bad marks (D/F on homework) is pure lazyiness.

So, I begin looking over all his homework again and started proofing his papers. Tonight, I sit down with him to proof a 1 1/2 page review on an article he had to do and every other sentence started with "but", "and", "like" (my personal favorite), "because" and so.  They also ended with "are", "for", "so" (felt like Jean Luc Picard.....make it so), and "it". 

I tried to make light of it and reiterated how important it is to think and write in complete sentences and proper grammar.  I tell him all the time you have write as if the reader does not know anything on the topic.

I have noticed the lazy bug in his extra-curricular activities too.  I told his karate instructor to keep on him, because his movements were getting sloppy, when they should be crisp. 

I know he has a lot to do and I'm not sure if I'm asking too much.  This is also coupled with the past 5 months of science fair, finally ending this Saturday (have to drive 50 miles to get there).

But, part of me wonders if it is just a 12 year old boy thing too.  I'm perplexed.

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
heathercm26
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:38 AM
Hard to say. Maybe he is getting lazy, but im not sure u can force a good work ethic onto him. I dont think it works to badger, bribe, push, pull or beat a work ethic into or out of a teenager. Possibly modeling a strong work ethic would help. Also set up some good examples for him to follow. .....its hard to say.

At this point it maybe good for him to experience some good first hand examples of what happens to lazy ass, sullen people. I rmember my dad pointing out a skanky gql in town one day when i was about that age. I thought she was beautiful. Big boobs. Very pretty. Tight revealing clothes and a nice figure all around. She was talking with some boy and very flirty. My dad never said anything bad about anyone , but he told me how inappropriate it was. And that she would get a bad reputation. That she was making a fool of herself and that people would only see her bodynd never really see her if she showed her body that way. I think about that 15 years later. That had much more effect on me than nagging parents.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GotSomeKids
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:44 AM

I'm trying very hard not to be the nagging momma.  It's a fine line.  But, he seems to flip flop.  One term it will be bad homework marks, great testing marks.  Next time it's great homework marks, bad testing marks.  His team is winning every debate, but his indiivdual debate marks are averaging "D".   I asked him if the teacher told him why he got a "D", he said he wasn't sure.  I ask if he gives him a grading sheet, he says "I'm not sure". 

Quoting heathercm26:

Hard to say. Maybe he is getting lazy, but im not sure u can force a good work ethic onto him. I dont think it works to badger, bribe, push, pull or beat a work ethic into or out of a teenager. Possibly modeling a strong work ethic would help. Also set up some good examples for him to follow. .....its hard to say.

At this point it maybe good for him to experience some good first hand examples of what happens to lazy ass, sullen people. I rmember my dad pointing out a skanky gql in town one day when i was about that age. I thought she was beautiful. Big boobs. Very pretty. Tight revealing clothes and a nice figure all around. She was talking with some boy and very flirty. My dad never said anything bad about anyone , but he told me how inappropriate it was. And that she would get a bad reputation. That she was making a fool of herself and that people would only see her bodynd never really see her if she showed her body that way. I think about that 15 years later. That had much more effect on me than nagging parents.

veganistic
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:50 AM
I would meet with his teacher and find out what's going on with him and his work. Also i would seek her advice on what you could do at home with him to help get him back on track. Good luck mamma!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GotSomeKids
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Thanks.  Parent/Teacher conferences are next week.  It just happened that progress reports came out two weeks ago.   We talked about this last parent/teacher conference and she assured us it was his learning curve for the accerated program.  Not sure, but in my head, 7 months he should be moving along now.

Quoting veganistic:

I would meet with his teacher and find out what's going on with him and his work. Also i would seek her advice on what you could do at home with him to help get him back on track. Good luck mamma!

GotSomeKids
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:56 AM

You know.  I just had a thought.  This could be exhaustion from the program.  I know I'm tired and I just volunteer at the school....LOL.  I did notice my daughter is also is doing progressively worse on her spelling tests (although passing, just not as good as she was before).

I'm wondering if he will turn a leaf after Spring Break.  Both kids have 1/2 day schedules all next week and  a full week off after that.

heathercm26
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:58 AM
Yeah that is a hard line to walk. Would do my best to pick my battles, but like dr phill says, you absolutely have to win every one u pick......that is bull shit that he says he isnt sure if he got a report on the debate. Of course he did. Lol. If i were u on that particular thing i would go to the teacher. Get a copy of the report and lay it on the table so he sees it when he comes in. Then i wouldnt say a thing. Even of it says he swore and was unprepared bla bla. I would do it just so he sees he cant give u a bs answer like "im not sure". He is old enough to see the correlation between grades and work so i guess i would let him fail if he is going to.

Its important for him to develop his moral compass where work ethic s concerned. Maybe have him find some quotes about the value of an honest days work and u can discuss them. One per week maybe. Until u see him changing
heathercm26
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:09 AM
2 moms liked this
One thing that motivated me to do a good job was when my parents would point out something nice about someone they respected. ....for instance.... josh is the best. He is so reliable. Or aunt vicky is such a nice person and so ambitious. She always does her best on everything....

My grandma always told me things wgen i was little like.....i know you wont get into anything in the bathroom. Your always so well behaved.....of course i was pretty little then. I was weighted with a responsibility when i entered that bathroom to do right. Lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)