Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Is this reason to hold back ( first )

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:33 AM
  • 16 Replies
My son (just turned 7) in first grade has had trouble with reading. His issue is sounding out words he does not know. His fluency is way up but down in comprehension. That being said he still gets a B average on his reading tests each week which I am ok with. Math he is starting to have trouble ( after getting past ten on math facts. He had gotten a B, C and A on unit tests but the most current unit was math facts and he bombed the unit assessment and county assessment. I can't figure it out I worked with him on it. He was out a couple days last week not sure how much bearing it had. Don't know if he was really just off. But today he brought home a worksheet that he said teacher pointed out to class that he got a 100% on. So I know he can do it. Anyway the teacher emailed that she is more concerned now and we have to talk about next year. I am really worried that she wants him to repeat. He does not want this. He doesn't indicate the work is hard and is willing to do the work I think it just requires more effort on his part. Once he is faced with a challenge and does it he is so happy about it. I don't think repeating will challenge him. Don't know what to do.
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momtomiles
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:43 AM
I don't think she can hold him back if he is passing reading and math( certainly not with a B average). You can work with him over the summer:)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Talk to her and see what she suggests.  You can always supplement over the summer using a learning center or a tutor.

MsLogansMommy
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 4:33 AM

I thought it was up to the parent if you want to hold your child back or not at least in kinder through 2nd grade and then after that its up to the school. I was told they can recommend it but the parent has to approve it. This information I received from a friend so I cannot hold firm that it is correct information as I have not done any actual research myself but I am sure someone in this group is knowledgeable about the laws regarding grade retention hopefully they can shed some light on the subject.

IMO having your son repeat first grade wouldnt be beneficial in this situation from what you described so for me personally based on the information you gave I wouldn't approve retention at this point if it is up to you because like someone else said this could be just a matter of him having a bad day  and it sounds like if you were to work with him over the summer he would be right where he should be by the beginning of the school year. Maybe you could request a conference to find out if there is more to it or have the teacher explain a little better so you would feel confident in the decision and be on the same page. Good luck I hope you get some answers

Kris_PBG
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 6:29 AM
It sounds like you need to sit and talk with her before panicking about how to react to what she might say.

Where is he in regards to pupil progression standards? There is a matrix we follow as to how to students in our district needs to be considered in regard to their reading performance and retention, promotion with a PMP, or promotion. Sounds like you need to know his current reading level and how that fits into pupil progression in your district.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:36 AM
Talk to the teacher before assuming she wants him to repeat. She might want to talk to you about supplemental help next year and over the summer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smushy79
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:39 AM

Personally, I would not hold him back. I would look into a tutor for the summer to prep him and get him up to speed for 2nd.

SeanandNoahsmom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:11 AM

I agree with this, if that is what the teacher has in mind.

Quoting smushy79:

Personally, I would not hold him back. I would look into a tutor for the summer to prep him and get him up to speed for 2nd.

Dawn
LuvingMy3Girls
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:14 AM
Personally I'd never hold my child back. I'd get them extra help. My dh was held back and for many years it shaped how he felt about Himself
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soymujer
by Mikki on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:15 AM

When my middle son was in second grade, he'd bring home good grades on his papers and had good grades on his report card.  When we went to spring parent teacher conferences she said that she wanted to hold him back.  We were in shock.  I asked why because his grades were good and she says that those grades weren't his per se but with a little help.  I was like wth. Anyway, we made the decision to hold him back and glad we did because it did a world of wonders.

Now, I'm not saying that is what this teacher is going to say or that you should hold him back.  You need to talk to her to see what she wants for sure.  If it comes down to it, then you need to decide what will be best for your son. 

family in the van   Mom of four

nova.mommy
by Kristi on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I agree with this.  

Have you had him tested for dyslexia?  I know it can take many forms.  Or for glasses?

Quoting smushy79:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)