Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Help please kinda off topic.

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:39 AM
  • 16 Replies
I posted in another group last night but didn't get much help. Almost 3 weeks ago both my kids had surgery. My daughter had her adenoids and tonsils out and my son had tubes. My daughter has had hell healing up. First she got a bad stomach bug 3 days after surgery and was puking. Then she got a secondary infection. Well now it looks like she might have strep on top of everything else she has been through. My first question is had anyone else been through that.

Second my biggest question is our insurance doesn't cover the ear plugs for my son. They have two different ones. One that is expensive but custom fit to his ears and the other ones are cheaper but are not fit to just his ears. Has anyone had any experience with them. Which ones are better? Are the expensive ones worth it?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
endurablemist
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:00 AM
I'm not sure, but here's a bump for someone who can help. Also I hope your DD gets better fast!
calsmom62
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:10 AM
So sorry about the surgeries and tummy bug. No better place to catch germs than the hospital. Can you call the insurance company about the plugs to make the case for the better ones?
kblpooh
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:22 AM
So sorry about your daughter. As for ear plugs, my friend had tubes when she was little and she said she used silly puddy for ear plugs when swimming because it worked better than regular ones. Ask you Dr about that. It would be much cheaper. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
firemom5906
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:14 AM

Thanks ladies.  We went yesterday morning to the ENT.  Luckly my daughter doesn't have strep.  He said it could be all the antibiotics she has been on or the secondary infection getting in her belly and upsetting it.  He said he isn't sure but if her belly still hurts next week then she has to go back to her regular doctor for test to figure it out.  We didn't end up getting the expensive ear plugs.  We got the cheaper ones cause the audiologist said he doesn't need the expensive ones.  She said since he is so young and won't be diving or doing heavy swimming the cheaper ones would be perfect.  I did research before we left and every thing I found said that doc's pro plugs were the best and that is the kind she had.  They worked great.  Thank you for responding though.  I just hope we can keep them both healthy now.

Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Glad they're doing better.

My son had to wear plugs too, but we never bought anything professional. We just bought standard plugs or used cotton balls with Vaseline. I've never heard of insurance covering it. His ENTs just didn't offer that as an option.

firemom5906
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this

We did the cotton balls with Vaseline.  Thats what they had me do for 2 weeks.  I noticed water was still getting passed it.  I got him some from them that was 20 bucks so thats not bad at all.  They work wonderfully!!!

corrinacs
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Hey mama,

Wow, you have a ton on yourp late. I don't think I could have dealt with both kids having surgery nearly the same time!!!!!  Wow, you are superwoman!

I don't have any advice on your son's ear tubes.  I wish i did, though, as I might consider them for my oldest who is constant Mr. Ear Infection dude.  He has bad issues with environmental allergies and despite meds and upkeep (with clceaning) its not enough by far :(.  He just ends up with teh goopies a lot.

As for your daughter, make you sure you are telling your surgeon EVERYTHING that has happeed since her surgery.  I know that surgery does weaken your immune system and this season has been HORRIBLE wtih every illness in the world.  But how much she's been sick and the type of ilnesses makes me uneasy.  I would just want to be sure it wasn't realted to the surgery!

Good luck!!!

firemom5906
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Thank you trust me I have.  I felt like the paranoid momma cause I was calling them for every little thing.  I wanted to be safe and besides some dental work neither of them have ever had any kinda surgery.  I am sure they were tired of me calling but oh well I had to make sure she was ok since hers was more invasive.  The tubes have helped my son alot.  He wasn't talking before them but now is talking up a storm and its only been 3 weeks.  He didn't have alot of ear infections but he had fluid behind his ear drums for 4 months we couldn't seem to get to go away.  How old is your son? Have you taken him to an ENT yet.  My daughters adenoids were so large she had fluid be hind her ear drums too cause they were blocking the drain tubes from her ears.

Quoting corrinacs:

Hey mama,

Wow, you have a ton on yourp late. I don't think I could have dealt with both kids having surgery nearly the same time!!!!!  Wow, you are superwoman!

I don't have any advice on your son's ear tubes.  I wish i did, though, as I might consider them for my oldest who is constant Mr. Ear Infection dude.  He has bad issues with environmental allergies and despite meds and upkeep (with clceaning) its not enough by far :(.  He just ends up with teh goopies a lot.

As for your daughter, make you sure you are telling your surgeon EVERYTHING that has happeed since her surgery.  I know that surgery does weaken your immune system and this season has been HORRIBLE wtih every illness in the world.  But how much she's been sick and the type of ilnesses makes me uneasy.  I would just want to be sure it wasn't realted to the surgery!

Good luck!!!

corrinacs
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:54 PM

I hope she feels better soon and I'm glad that you are the hankering mom.  She just had surgery and any infection like that could be dangerous for up to 6-8 weeks post-op.  Keep calling them if you are worried.  It's thier job to take care of you and her :)

And thank you for the ifnormatoin about his tubes.  Caden does have fluid behind his ears A LOT.  Whenever he sees the dcotor, she mentions the fluid.  We've been treating it with allery meds, which makes it better, but not 100%.  I have thought about taking him to an ENT for his troubles.  We visit and allergist who manages his allergies and asthma.  But he has really bad alelrgic rhinitis that requires Flonase (which I hate him using).  He also get sinus infections a lot which the allergist only recommends more allergy meds for :/.  Thanks, I'll look into doing that to see what they have to say!

Quoting firemom5906:

Thank you trust me I have.  I felt like the paranoid momma cause I was calling them for every little thing.  I wanted to be safe and besides some dental work neither of them have ever had any kinda surgery.  I am sure they were tired of me calling but oh well I had to make sure she was ok since hers was more invasive.  The tubes have helped my son alot.  He wasn't talking before them but now is talking up a storm and its only been 3 weeks.  He didn't have alot of ear infections but he had fluid behind his ear drums for 4 months we couldn't seem to get to go away.  How old is your son? Have you taken him to an ENT yet.  My daughters adenoids were so large she had fluid be hind her ear drums too cause they were blocking the drain tubes from her ears.

Quoting corrinacs:

Hey mama,

Good luck!!!

Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:00 PM

I don't have experience with either, but here's a bump.  I hope they start feeling better soon!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)