Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

charter school

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:05 PM
  • 12 Replies
does anyone know anything about charter schools I'm debating on whether to take my son out of public school to charter school or not. but I don't know anything about charter schools and there's a new 1 opening near where I live. we are going to information session soon. they always tell you just a good things I would like to know either good or bad experiences please
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momyplease
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:07 PM
I dont know anything but please post I would love too know
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Charter schools can very greatly, so research thoroughly.

Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Every state regulates charter schools different, but basically it's a public school that operates outside of the traditional school district. Many states require that the charter school be partnered or sponsored by a school district or college.

Just like various public and private schools, the quality of the school does not depend on how it's funded. You need to look at the individual charter school and decide if it's the right fit for your child.

My son goes to a public magnet school, and we have looked at various charter schools. I've seen some kids successful at one school whereas another is not because it's not the right fit for that particular child.

Mom2Tabitha
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:24 PM

My daughter attends a charter school and has since Kindergarten. She is currently in 4th grade.  Charter schools are PUBLIC schools, but they have their own board of directors they answer to.  They have more freedom in hiring, curriculum, scheduling, and focus of the school. The quality and educational atmosphere of a charter school can be FANTASTIC or it can be HORRIBLE.  Charter schools can be A rated or F rated.  It depends on how well they are managed and the experience and skill of those involved in running the school.

They will often have LESS in the way of special services for kids who need things like speech therapy, EMH or other special ed (including gifted) programs.  Again, it deepends on the school.  They may also require more time from the parents.  We are supposed to volunteer at least 10 hours a year at my daughter's school.  That said, because it is a charter school and you have to work to get your kid in, you tend to have more parental involvement.  Parents who are not interested in their kid's education simply do not tend to enroll them in charter schools.  It is too much work.

For some kids, the charter school is an AMAZING fit.  My daughter's school has a very cooperative learning approach that works well for her.  She has to be able to explain how she got her answer to a peer. She also reads in small groups and they discuss the comprehension questions together. We love her school.  It is very well run and is an A rated school.  

For other kids, charter school is the worst thing you can do for them.  It depends on your kids needs as to which group you child fits into.  You are the parent.  You know your kid best.  

So, I advise you go to the information session and get all the information you can.  You said it is a new school...so you don't have other parents to ask whose kids have been there.  BUT, you can ask a lot of questions of the administrators.  Find out what curriculum they are planning to use.  Research it.  As the parent using this information, you get to make the choice and pray it is as good a fit as you think it is, whichever you choose charter or standard public or even private.

Good luck in your choice. Elaine

Kris_PBG
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:35 PM
Charter schools are no panacea.

Why are you considering moving your child?
MJP76
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:39 PM

It kinda depends on the charter school. Do you have a specific question or questions?

my daughters has been in charter schools for the last two years, 8th and 9th grade. The middle school... Hated it. The HS this year, love it! But every charter school is different, so if you have specific questions I can try and answer them.

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:50 PM
I agree. It truly depends on what you are hoping for in regards to education for your child. Why are you considering moving her?
nicmotivatedmom
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I am considering the move because my sons schools are litterally falling apart. The state has taken away so much funding the the community has stopped caring so the last 2 leveys have fail. My grandmother went to his school and its NEVER been updated. the ceiling are falling in the water is bad and the boilers are shot so no heat in the winter.. or at least very little. They have eliminated ALL extra progams such as art, music, gym, all sports under the HS level, 10 teachers,8 bus drivers etc.. I could keep going. Now with that being said even with all the problems of the buildings and all the cuts the teachers are AMAZING! hes in the STEM program and loves it. He will be going into 3rd grade. The district is still rated excellent with distinction but I just dont feel that the environment lets learning happen easily, plus I feel that art and music and extremely IMPORTANT to foster learning in so many ways. so really im just trying to make sure that he gets the best education that I can..

What kind of questions besides the basic questions do you think I should ask, I know about the ciriculum and teachers, and displine?

LilliesValley
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:35 AM
I think you really need to do your research. They can be great but some are just off and a lot of learning doesn't happen. Just research their program. If its new are they going off another charter schools model? What's the success rate, test scores, parent input, etc?
MammaPaparazza
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:36 AM
We go to charter, compared to our area public schools our school has higher scores in testing, we have uniforms, the work load is more, the school year is two weeks longer, and they don't have in house OT and aren't on the ball with 504 or IEP Meetings. Limited sports
Otherwise, besides the strict discipline it's a great school
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)