Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

does anyone know anything about charter schools I'm debating on whether to take my son out of public school to charter school or not. but I don't know anything about charter schools and there's a new 1 opening near where I live. we are going to information session soon. they always tell you just a good things I would like to know either good or bad experiences please
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:05 PM
Replies (11-12):
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:43 AM
2 moms liked this

Have you considered supplementing art and music at home? 

I understand your concerns about the school building. But his sounds like his current school is doing the best they can with the limited budget. 

A new charter school might have answers to your questions, but there's no way for them to be really accurate.  They could know what they have planned, but things change in implementation.  Every new school goes through years of growing pains before it's running effectively. Personally, I wouldn't want my child going through those years with a start up. 

Quoting nicmotivatedmom:

I am considering the move because my sons schools are litterally falling apart. The state has taken away so much funding the the community has stopped caring so the last 2 leveys have fail. My grandmother went to his school and its NEVER been updated. the ceiling are falling in the water is bad and the boilers are shot so no heat in the winter.. or at least very little. They have eliminated ALL extra progams such as art, music, gym, all sports under the HS level, 10 teachers,8 bus drivers etc.. I could keep going. Now with that being said even with all the problems of the buildings and all the cuts the teachers are AMAZING! hes in the STEM program and loves it. He will be going into 3rd grade. The district is still rated excellent with distinction but I just dont feel that the environment lets learning happen easily, plus I feel that art and music and extremely IMPORTANT to foster learning in so many ways. so really im just trying to make sure that he gets the best education that I can..

What kind of questions besides the basic questions do you think I should ask, I know about the ciriculum and teachers, and displine?

corrinacs
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 1:40 PM

It depends on your school district and waht the charter school is for.  Charter schools (there's also magnet schools) are typically designed to take care of a certain type of student if it is focused on science/technology, or even helping children with ADHD. You would ahve to see what types of schools your district has :).

And a lot of the time its hard to get into and you get into a lottery system.  That's typcially how they choose who gets to attend.  Again, this would be a better question fo your school district.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)