Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What do you think? Does he deserve his school money??

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:24 PM
  • 24 Replies

Daddy and I promised the kids money for good grades as an extra motivation. my 10 year old Daniel has the best grades but his behavior in class has worsened the last months.
He laughs when he gets scolded, he is aware he is smart so if another kid gives a wrong answer he pokes fun of it, calling them dtupid or dumb in the MIDDLE OF THE CLASS which of course makes the kid feel terrible and everyone laughs among other things

I say he does not deserve the grades money.  I was bullied in class so i have talked clearly and many times about how poking fun of others is wrong and can make a kid feel terrible. I do not aprove this behavior at all and I say he does not deserve a penny

BUT daddy says conduct was not a part of the original deal (we didnt need to add it to the deal then) and we should punish him with something other than the $$ for the grades... and modify the deal from now on.

What do you think?? ...

by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nicolemead91
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:26 PM
I agree with daddy! :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
periwinkle163
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:28 PM
3 moms liked this

I agree with your husband you set the guidelines and pulling them now will just undermine your trustworthiness. Punish him for his behavior but leave the money for grades out of it.

Newfie_Mom
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:31 PM
3 moms liked this
I'd said give him the money but as part of punishment I wouldn't let him spend a cent until behavior changes, in addition to punishment for the behavior.
eviesmom453
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Yeah, you guys owe him the money.

SuperWaned
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:33 PM

But I kinda feel giving him money even after the long list of teacher complain will make him feel like he is getting rewarded regardless his conduct.  Dont you think?

Daniel LOVES  money :D  He loves getting money to save  it and then buy videogames.. he doesnt care much about being grounded because I can take away everything and he always entertain himself. he was already grounded till Sunday for an incident at school yesterday and there he is his bedroom making animal sounds and singin..

SuperWaned
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Thats a decent compromise I think..

Quoting Newfie_Mom:

I'd said give him the money but as part of punishment I wouldn't let him spend a cent until behavior changes, in addition to punishment for the behavior.

IslandBreeze
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Id give money but make it very clear it is for the GRADES he earned and then amend the future deals gradewise to include conduct...... 

My six year old is the same way. She got great grades but sometimes acted up. I put a stop to it weeks ago by taking EVERYTHING away, cut out TKD, cut out fun stuff, etc. She shaped up. Then she noticed that since she has been good in class, things were simply better for her so she kept it up. Mind you, I will do it all over again...

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:45 PM
Yep. I think this is the best option at this point. It's not right to change the rules as you go. Maybe even make him use his money on a book about bullying and take away video game time and make him read the book with you.

Quoting SuperWaned:

Thats a decent compromise I think..

Quoting Newfie_Mom:

kbix82
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:57 PM

this one! haha you can have it... but you cant go to the store lol

Quoting Newfie_Mom:

ramita
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:58 PM
Maybe give him the money but make him spend it on items for his classmates and teacher instead of in himself. I don't know. From the sound of it I'd be a little lost to. Be sure to give him extra chores or something to keep him busy when he acts out.

Quoting SuperWaned:

But I kinda feel giving him money even after the long list of teacher complain will make him feel like he is getting rewarded regardless his conduct.  Dont you think?

Daniel LOVES  money :D  He loves getting money to save  it and then buy videogames.. he doesnt care much about being grounded because I can take away everything and he always entertain himself. he was already grounded till Sunday for an incident at school yesterday and there he is his bedroom making animal sounds and singin..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)