Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

The sex talk at 5?

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:25 PM
  • 17 Replies
So my dd is 5 and ever since I got pregnant she has had questions where babies come from. I had a miscarriage at 9 weeks so the questions kinda died down. I explained that a baby comes from an egg and a seed and that satisfied her questions for a while, but then she wanted to know how did the seed get to the egg and why boy privates look different. So today I went to the library and got a kids books to answer her questions. At what age did your children start asking questions and what do you think is too much information for a 5 year old?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:31 PM

I think that the childrens books for this topic are really good for the conversations.  DD has not really asked these questions yet even though she knows daddy looks different from us.

momto3infl
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:22 PM

My oldest started at 3yrs old and my middle started at 4yrs old and youngest at 5yrs old.  I justy did what you are doing and answered honestly.

smurfy88
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:39 PM

I was surprised she was asking questions so early, I remember even at that age I was never comfortable asking my mom questions. The book I got seems really in detail. It talks about sex and how the boy's penis goes in the girls vagina to make a baby. It says it is appropriate for ages 4 and up, I dunno maybe I am the one whose more uncomfortable, it just seems like so much information for such a young age. 

Quoting momto3infl:

My oldest started at 3yrs old and my middle started at 4yrs old and youngest at 5yrs old.  I justy did what you are doing and answered honestly.

Newfie_Mom
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I was pregnant with my son when dd was five she asked me about where babies come from. I took the where do you think they come from route just to see where we were at. She said "god kissed your belly button like Mary" I didn't disagree. She is eight this time around almost nine. When she asked this time I used the books to explain and told her not to tell her brother. Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momto3infl
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:54 PM

I felt that way also, but since my mom was never open about any of these conversations.  I told myself no matter how I felt I needed to be honest and talk to them because I didnt want it to be like my mom.

Quoting smurfy88:

I was surprised she was asking questions so early, I remember even at that age I was never comfortable asking my mom questions. The book I got seems really in detail. It talks about sex and how the boy's penis goes in the girls vagina to make a baby. It says it is appropriate for ages 4 and up, I dunno maybe I am the one whose more uncomfortable, it just seems like so much information for such a young age. 

Quoting momto3infl:

EslingerCrew11
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:56 PM
1 mom liked this
We have to talk about it here too :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smurfy88
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Thats how I feel too. I knew what sex was by the age of 5 but never got a sex talk until my grandparents got custody of me at age 15, by that time it was too late. Me and her read the book and I feel better about it for now.

Quoting momto3infl:

I felt that way also, but since my mom was never open about any of these conversations.  I told myself no matter how I felt I needed to be honest and talk to them because I didnt want it to be like my mom.

Quoting smurfy88:

Quoting momto3infl:

WillsMOM72
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:02 PM
1 mom liked this
My son is 5 and hasn't asked any questions yet, thank goodness.
4wildbeasts
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:08 PM
My daughter asked when she was about five. I just told her the truth. I just prefer to be open and tell my kids what they want to know because the longer you put it off and the more stories you make up then the more uncomfortable it is going to be. She just said, "Eww, never mind I don't want you to keep trying to have a little sister for me."
smurfy88
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:09 PM

lol!!! how funnY!

Quoting 4wildbeasts:

My daughter asked when she was about five. I just told her the truth. I just prefer to be open and tell my kids what they want to know because the longer you put it off and the more stories you make up then the more uncomfortable it is going to be. She just said, "Eww, never mind I don't want you to keep trying to have a little sister for me."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)