Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Diary of a Wimpy Kid books...

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:54 PM
  • 32 Replies

Just wondering if anyone elses kid has read/ is reading them.  My DD (7) brought one home from the school library, I made her swap it for a different one.  During my Christmas shopping last year, I flipped through one at the store for my adopted brother (he's 12).  It was the do it yourself book, where you can write in it and do games and answer questions and stuff.  There were 2 questions that I saw that made me wonder about the book series:  1)  Have you ever kissed a grown up over the age of (don't remeber age) square on the mouth?  2)  Have you ever rubbed sunblock on a grown up?  I just thought the questions were slightly off.  The book my DD brought home was the ugly truth book.  Because of what I had seen in the books previously, I decided to flip through the one she brought home.  The book mentioned "the talk" numerous times and there was a page about the kid doing laundry and he writes:  it should be illegal for boys to put their mother's underwear away and had a picture of a boy with bras and panties around him.  Overall, the book was pretty funny.  But I think it's definitely geared towards older kids, I know it takes place in middle school, the topics are really more for that age group.  Anyone else feel these books are inappropriate for younger kids or am I just being a prude?  lol

by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JeremysMom
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Diary of a Wimpy Kid is aimed at students in the 4th grade and up, however, with its popularity and the movies, there are younger students who do enjoy them. The younger students may not get all of the jokes. As far as the two questions, it sounds like it may be based off of the books. For example, the question "Have you ever kissed a grown up over the age of (don't remeber age) square on the mouth?", this could have been talking about where Aunt so and so wanted a kiss and he leaned in to give her a kiss on the cheek and wound up giving her a kiss square on the mouth. This is just a guess though. Anyways, my son is 8 and is interested in the series. We where reading them until he found "Bad Kitty" and has taken more of an interest in that series. 

diaperstodating
by Angel on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:10 PM
Yes. We have all of the books. My older two sons have read them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
nickellmomof2
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:11 PM

I agree, I think they are innocent questions, things that a kid that age would find embarassing.  But I don't think it's something younger kids should be reading, they may not get that it was just something embarassing and wonder what they mean...ya know?  And the whole "the talk" thing, I'd rather that come from me and not some book.  My DD loves Bad Kitty and she's really into the Magic Tree House series.  

Quoting JeremysMom:

Diary of a Wimpy Kid is aimed at students in the 4th grade and up, however, with its popularity and the movies, there are younger students who do enjoy them. The younger students may not get all of the jokes. As far as the two questions, it sounds like it may be based off of the books. For example, the question "Have you ever kissed a grown up over the age of (don't remeber age) square on the mouth?", this could have been talking about where Aunt so and so wanted a kiss and he leaned in to give her a kiss on the cheek and wound up giving her a kiss square on the mouth. This is just a guess though. Anyways, my son is 8 and is interested in the series. We where reading them until he found "Bad Kitty" and has taken more of an interest in that series. 

Mrz.Anaya
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:12 PM

My 7 year old loves them! The jokes are over his head though lol 

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't want my 7 year old son reading them either. :-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sheramom4
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:17 PM

My 11 year old DD loves them and has been reading them for abut 3 years. 9 year old DD isn't interested at this point. The older two are teens and have never been interested. DD gets the new one from my brother every year for Christmas, along with another more literature based book. She also loves the James Patterson "Middle School" series.

I don't censor much of anything, so in general the kids make their own reading choices, but I can see where they may be over heads of the younger set.

lulu_tattoos
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:26 PM
My ten and seven year olds have read them all. They're fun, light reads.

7 y/o dd loves the dork diaries also. Very similar but based on a female main character.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:29 PM

My dd is 7 and is reading them along with several other series geared toward 3-8th graders. That is her leisure level and what she enjoys. We do plan to keep her way from Hunger Games for now because of how sensitive she is to certain things. 

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Both of my boys have read the books.  My oldest read them when he was in 4th and 5th grade.  My youngest son is in 3rd grade and has recently finished the most recent one.  I don't find them to be inappropriate at all, but then again, my boys aren't 7 years old either and both have already had "the talk" so that isn't anything shocking for them at all.

reche1978
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:41 PM

my dd is 7 and we read them together.  Were only on the second one but she likes them I think there cute

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)