Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Cell Phone Help

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:17 AM
  • 10 Replies

My oldest DD is 10, almost 11, in 5th grade.  We are looking at possibly gettng her a prepaid barebones cell, no internet, no texting, stricly to take to friends houses in case of an emergency.

Do you have one like that for your kids?  What kind of phone?  Where did you get it?  How much was it?

Thanks! 

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:29 AM
Bump
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BuckeyezRule
by Laura on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Sorry, I'm no help. Ds is in 4th and not responsible enough yet. Dd is 2nd. The kids' friends' knock on our door so often, my kids rarely have to go anywhere. Ds asks and I let him go to the school playground (with his friends) , but, I can see the school around the corner. Lol we usually have 1-10 or more extra kids in our yard or home. Lol

lulu_tattoos
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:54 AM
My son (10) ended up getting an actual phone when he was about 8 because I got divorced and we had the line being unused but still being paid for. He's been so great and responsible with our hand-me-down phones that he got a brand new galaxy s3 for christmas this year and given data usage.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lulu_tattoos
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:56 AM
For this you could do a prepaid phone. But I don't know of any that won't text. If its really only going to be used that sparingly, it would be the cheapest option.

Provider depends on where you live, since service is better in some places with certain companies
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jojobean558
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:45 AM
We just got my DD a prepaid phone from Verizon. She 11 and so far she only uses it in case of emergencies. I have a paid plan from Verizon and she can call me for free. They sell them at Walmart for $14.97.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gregheather
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:13 AM

We just added a line to our plan and had her phone blocked fron the internet.

Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Sorry, we just added our son to our family plan for $10 a month. No data, but he can call us without adding minutes. We have unlimited texting also.

Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:21 AM

I've heard of this plan specifically for kids, but I have no experience with it:

http://www.kajeet.com/kajeetStore/whyKajeet.do

soymujer
by Mikki on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:46 AM

We did do that.  Depending on what you get and what company is the cost.  We got one thru a prepaid phone thru Verizon for $30 and then depending on how many minutes you want to put on it.  We only put $20 a month on it.

family in the van   Mom of four

Lydlou02
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:50 AM
It was cheaper for us to add a line. His phone wasn't bare bones though, we had to disable the internet and purchases after we downloaded final fantasy for him. We also uploaded some of his favorite music to the SD card so he had a MP3 player too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN