Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Tell the principal or not?

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:02 AM
  • 14 Replies

Two things

The first is my son (5th grade) had the wrong spelling words for 3 weeks. The whole class did. She never noticed till I brought her a problem then she realized they were the wrong words. (Tryptic and bienneial anyone?)  So I brought it to her attention but think it points out a bigger problem - that she's not paying attention to her class. They don't have a spelling test either. Just write the words, use them in sentences and eventually turn the papers in to show that they did the work. She's very young and very new and i like her.  She seems to try hard to be a good teacher but is maybe overwelmed.  Tell the principal so she can keep an eye on things?  Or don't make trouble for the teacher?

The second thing is the news the kids watch in class.  They had a news article on same sex marriage. But it was more than I thought it was. There was a lot of talk about homosexuality and same sex marriage and then they had to write an argumentive paper over how they felt about it. WHAT????  The other 5th grade class was writing about how many hours of sleep they needed if going to bed early would help them on tests better. I personally don't think that homosexuality needs to be discussed in a 5th grade classroom. We talk about that at home, it doesn't need to be in the lesson plan at school.  I wasn't going to say anything for fear of being "that parent". But I truely feel that its wrong and needs to be addressed.

Thought ladies? The principal is a friend of mine and I'd like to keep it that way.

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:12 AM

The issues you have described are separate in nature so I am going to address them as such. First, IF the teacher is overwhelmed, and it definitely sounds as if she is, then the principal knows already. Good administrators will "pair/team" up newbies with veterans so things like you are describing don't occur. You brought it to her attention and so I would let it go. The second issue is a bit more perplexing. I don't think it's appropriate for elementary or middle school and would speak with the teacher first and let her know. Being a new teacher, she may have realized by now that it was a poor choice. After hearing her thoughts, only if she still thought it was appropriate would I call the principal. I'm going to be honest here, the principal doesn't sound like she has her grade level teachers working together in teams and that's a sign of a poor administrator.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:15 AM
Regarding the news...did you talk to the teacher and ask why she thought it was OK or what her thinking was? I agree, it's not a topic I would have chosen but I think it's only right to talk to the teacher before the principal and let her know you're not OK with it.

As for the spelling, where does she get her lists from that she could accidentally give the wrong one 3 times?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tristansmom74
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:44 AM
Spelling words last for three weeks. She told me that she was busy and gave the instructions for the kids to get their words out of the book themselves. Never once looked at their work to realize the words were wrong. She laughed and said "i don't even know what tryptic means. I would never give that as a spelling word"

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Regarding the news...did you talk to the teacher and ask why she thought it was OK or what her thinking was? I agree, it's not a topic I would have chosen but I think it's only right to talk to the teacher before the principal and let her know you're not OK with it.

As for the spelling, where does she get her lists from that she could accidentally give the wrong one 3 times?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof3jam
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Holy cow. I'm the farthest type from "that parent" and try to avoid those situations whenever possible. But this is on the extreme side...

I would definitely bring up the same-sex issue with the principal. There's no reason to get mad about it, just talk to him/her with a matter-of-fact tone. IF the conversation is leading nicely, I'd casually bring up the spelling test thing. But if the principal is already seeming edgy, hold that off for another time.

New teachers are trying to learn the ropes. We don't want to get them in trouble, but in the same right, we want them to be aware of their mistakes and avoid repeating them. They can't correct a problem if they aren't aware that there is a problem...

nova.mommy
by Kristi on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:13 AM

For the spelling, I wouldn't bring it up to the principle unless it happens more.  It sound like you have already talked to the teacher and it was a mistake, mistakes happen and she is on 'top of it.'

As for the same sex thing, i think watching a video that talks about all types of families is good for a 5th grader to see, to learn not all families are the same.  About the paper they needed to write.  Did you get the actual assignment, or did your child tell you?  Sometimes kids will 'key in' on a few words and not the whole story.  If your kid, maybe talk to the teacher first.  She may have wanted to hear their views on the whole video not just same sex marriage.  After talking to the teacher, if you are still not comfortable with the outcome, go to the principal.

story0702
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:49 AM
I agree with what this person said on both counts.

Just to add about the same sex marriage part too (and this is just personal opinions or thoughts) ....perhaps being young and new she was trying to use this topic to teach the kids to think for themselves and to also learn there are many different kinds of families ....or to pose questions they may have because of hearing about it everyday in passing. Kids (and all of us) are hearing about same sex marriage about everyday if the new is on anywhere they spend time..... Maybe she was just trying to do something productive with it all? I agree just talk with her . Ask her what the assignment was.

Quoting nova.mommy:

For the spelling, I wouldn't bring it up to the principle unless it happens more.  It sound like you have already talked to the teacher and it was a mistake, mistakes happen and she is on 'top of it.'

As for the same sex thing, i think watching a video that talks about all types of families is good for a 5th grader to see, to learn not all families are the same.  About the paper they needed to write.  Did you get the actual assignment, or did your child tell you?  Sometimes kids will 'key in' on a few words and not the whole story.  If your kid, maybe talk to the teacher first.  She may have wanted to hear their views on the whole video not just same sex marriage.  After talking to the teacher, if you are still not comfortable with the outcome, go to the principal.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
nova.mommy
by Kristi on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:53 AM

That was what I was trying to say.  You did a much better job at it then me.

Quoting story0702:

I agree with what this person said on both counts.

Just to add about the same sex marriage part too (and this is just personal opinions or thoughts) ....perhaps being young and new she was trying to use this topic to teach the kids to think for themselves and to also learn there are many different kinds of families ....or to pose questions they may have because of hearing about it everyday in passing. Kids (and all of us) are hearing about same sex marriage about everyday if the new is on anywhere they spend time..... Maybe she was just trying to do something productive with it all? I agree just talk with her . Ask her what the assignment was.

Quoting nova.mommy:

corrinacs
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I would always start givnig your concerns to the direct person at hand....the teacher.  You undermine her and put her in a corner if you go to the principal first....your friend or not....principal probably isn't her personal friend (not in a mean way or anything).
But she is new.  I aws a new teacher once and IT IS VERY OVERWHELMING!  Beyond anything in your dreams overwhelming.

Talk to her, and let her know that you are concerned.  I am sure when she realized the problem, she took it very personally to ensure she checked from then on!  But perhaps she doesn't like spelling tests (some teachers hate tests) and has the kids show thier spelling skills in other ways.  Talk to her about her strategies on this one.

And as far as the project topic.  Talk to her about it.  You never know, it could have been that the kids themselves chose that topic!  Why they would, I don't know...but it is preteen years.  And I know teens (and preteens) can take a strong opinion about these things that effect other people.  Just talk to her about it :)

Good luck! 

momtomiles
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:30 PM
This

For the spelling, I wouldn't bring it up to the principle unless it happens more. It sound like you have already talked to the teacher and it was a mistake, mistakes happen and she is on 'top of it.'
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I think you need to talk to the teacher first.  Then see what happens.  No reason to go over her head without first talking to her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)